• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Honig Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

Jean Brislance

1999 Honig Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - A very dark, blackish-red color. Nose is pretty intense, with aromas of sweet black fruit, red berry, coffee, and oak. On the palate, there is dark fruit, blackberry, coffee, licorice, and a cedary spice. Not an overblown, highly-extracted wine, just a good, balanced Cab with very nice flavor. Texturally, the wine starts out smooth, with the tannins applying some grip on the finish, which shows a bit of a drying effect right at the end. I really like this winery, and this wine. It is always a favorite moderately-priced Cab, and it is like a warm blanket on a chilly fall evening in Minnesota. :biggrin:

All the best,

Jean

I've always loved the Honig Sauvingnon Blanc. It was one of the first domestic Sauv Blanc that made me go "Aha! - I get the difference between Old World and New World Sauv Blanc." I've never tried their Cabernet (I'm ashamed to say that because I should just buy a bottle and check it out) but I have no doubt it's made with the same care and organic viticultural technique as the SB. Their wines are a bargain too, compared to their bigger "cult" vineyard neighbors like Opus One. Unfortunately, I didn't visit the winery when I was in Napa several years ago because Honig was still not on my radar. Next time I wouldn't miss it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol