• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meilleur Sommelier au Monde

fresh_a

Any thoughts on the Cinq's head sommelier's nomination to world's best?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Enrico Bernardo has been named Best Sommelier in the World.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Is the guy French? What did he do to deserve it?

He's Italian, from Milan.

I've read the rules of the competition some time ago, when I still was a non-professional member of the AIS, Associazione Italiana Sommelier.

If I remember correctly there's two tests, a written one, on general wine knowledge, and a practical, which usually involves a tasting, one or more wine service tests and a wine-food matching. Maybe I'm missing another one or two things but you get the idea. The judges are usually former winners of the prize and well known personalities from the wine world.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Yep, and each pretendent to the throne is one chosen by the best of his country. They also throw in a lot of tricks, like putting errors in the written test, etc. Enrico breezed through it apparently, and at 27 years old, is the youngest ever to win the competition.

blog

blog

What's this supposed to mean?:

“The war in Iraq, security issues and international trade problems have led us to believe that the venue of the competition should be moved to an area where there would be fewer causes for concern and conflict for all those involved,” International Sommeliers Union President Giuseppe Vaccarini said.

Enrico sounds like the kind of guy who could knock Ken Jennings off "Jeopardy."

Robert,

I seriously have no clue what Vaccarini meant by that. It's a pretty lame excuse. I just went to the AIS homepage and saw that actually the US should have hosted the championship in 2003. I can only assume Vaccarini is referring to the war on Iraq. Still, even considering that, it sounds really exaggerated.

I'm surprised that Vaccarini is still (or once more) president of the International Sommeliers Union. He was last time I had a look too, and that's about 6 years ago.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.