• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

desperate in NJ

easterbunny

I have been chosen to select an appropriate place (preferably in the monmouth county area) where ten to fifteen mature, adult men can have a good meal prior to a wedding and rehearsal. This is not a bachelor party. A pre fixed menu could be in order and a lively atmosphere and some live entertainment would be welcomed. There will be some older gentlemen in attendance, the fathers of both the bride and the groom. To sum up the criteria: good food and beverage, can accomodate a large reservation with lively but appropriate atmosphere, in or about the monmouth county area. Thanks in advance to anyone out there that can make me look good on this one!!!

Don't know if any of these places has entertainment. Try calling some hotels in the area. Here are a few suggestions.

Moonstruck 517 Lake Ave AsburyPark

Raven and the Peach 740 River Road Fair Haven 732-747-4666

Joe & Maggies Long Branch

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

You might be hard-pressed to fnd a place with entertainment in the area. I know for certain that Joe & Maggie's in Long Branch does not have entertainment - but the food and wine selection are great. They have an upstairs area that would accomodate your group. Not lively, though.

Some places in Red Bank might be better suited to your needs - unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank right now. :wacko: Will post again if the light bulb goes off over my head.

Rendezvous, in Manalapan, is a restaurant that serves Russian/International cuisine. At several lunches we've had there, the Russian dishes we ordered were really delicious. There is a bandstand at the rear of the large, attractively decorated diningroom. Entertainment is offered on weekend evenings and, according to the owner, the atmosphere is very lively. He showed me the special "banquet package" he offers, and it looked great. Prices overall are very reasonable. The one thing they don't have is a liquor license, so the men would have to BYO. Call for more information at 732-972-5959.

I'm not that good with the geography but I think this is in Monmouth County as it is near Red Bank- Windandsea (or Windnsea or Windansea) near Sandy Hook. Our friends recently moved from NYC to Red Bank and we met here when we visited them one weekend. It has beautiful views, a lively and diverse crowd (families, couples, younger singles, groups, etc) and live entertainment upstairs. There is also outdoor dining. Unfortunately, we were very late to meet our group as we were driving from Manhattan, so we missed dinner. But we had great wine and appetizers and they really praised the food and their dinners. It's contemporary American with an emphasis on seafood.

Other places we went with them in Red Bank- Red, where the food was good and the crowd was also, a good vegetarian place, a diner-type place for a good breakfast.

Sorry the names are escaping me right now.

I'm not that good with the geography but I think this is in Monmouth County as it is near Red Bank- Windandsea (or Windnsea or Windansea) near Sandy Hook.

You are correct that Windnsea is in Monmouth County, specifically, in Highlands.

i think a great guy place is ashes in red bank...good raw bar, steaks and all the steahouse stuff to go along with it. v civilized. bar can get a good sized crowd. and you can walk to a few othher places if you are looking for more after dinner. the is jazz and a couple of other music places...i really like the walking around aspect of red bank

i think a great guy place is ashes in red bank...good raw bar, steaks and all the steahouse stuff to go along with it. v civilized.  bar can get a good sized crowd.  and you can walk to a few othher places if you are looking for more after dinner.  the is jazz and a couple of other music places...i really like the walking around aspect of red bank

That's the place I was trying to think of!!! It's not a members only establishment, though, is it? Maybe it's just the private dining rooms that are members only.

i think a great guy place is ashes in red bank...good raw bar, steaks and all the steahouse stuff to go along with it. v civilized. 

Ashes has a private room upstairs - my company held an awards dinner there last year. There is no entertainment up there - and I wouldn't call it lively.

And I do believe it is a members only situation, as our Exec VP is a member. But doesn't hurt to ask!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne