• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appetizing

ditsydine

This discussion of appetizing stores brings back strong memories. We would traipse from our Elizabeth NJ home to the Second Avenue Ratners, then afterwardes walk a few blocks south to a wonderful appetizing store, filled with delicious smells. For some reason, what I remember most was the loose apricot shoe leather!

I never thought of an appetizing store as the place to buy bagels, although they all had them. We always went directly to the bagel bakery.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

usually you could not get bagels at an appetizing store..but often right nextdoor or nearby ...we still have Russ&Daughters, Zabar's and Murray's, thank heavens.,

This is semi off topic, but i just had a vivid memory of my family in Zabars @ the deli case. I was intriqued by the salamis lined up on the counter, so I decided to touch one. Much to the counterman's chagrin and my parents embarrasment the salami tumbled into a whole tray of rice pudding!

Living in the South I do not have the luxury of going to said stores. There are a few pockets of hope, but its never the same.

Oh would I love some eggs and salami right now!

Thanks for your reply Mimi!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

You've been away a long time...the term is salami and eggs, not eggs and salami..In fact, I wrote a book with Alan King called "Is Salami and Eggs Better Than Sex?" I dealt with the grammar of salami and eggs being singular...Salami falling into rice pudding sounds like the inspiration for a fusion chef...