• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porto Leggero

glenn

One thing is clear. Porto Leggero (160 Greene) is as drop dead beautiful as the pictures. However, the pictures are deceiving; they make it look a lot bigger.

We had lunch there today and if our experience was any sort of indicator, Jersey City FINALLY has a destination spot. It makes me so happy to say that. There were no less than 4 persons serving us – not counting co-owner Elliot who we engaged in conversation. However, there were only 3 tables. Service was first class and what one would expect of a multi-starred NYC restaurant. My litmus test for service is whether someone folds your napkin when you’re away taking care of personal business. [hey, it works for me.] They passed that with flying colors, even giving me a new napkin, which I had soiled by making a pig out of myself devouring the mussels.

We shared the mussels’ appetizer. It was brought out on 2 separate plates and appeared to be 2 portions. When I complained that we only ordered 1 order, I was told that indeed, it was one order. Not only was it an incredible amount of mussels for $8, but also it was served in an incredibly tasty tangy tomato sauce with onions, peppers and small pieces of bread. I dare say that it was enough for a meal for one.

We both had pastas – Anabelle had rigatoni and I had butternut squash ravioli. It was simply the best such ravioli I ever had. Anabelle’s rigatoni was mildly spicy and again, had a similar tangy flavor to it as the mussels.

Dessert choices were minimal and uninteresting. However, in the interests of doing a full report, we ordered the cappuccino sorbet. This was a bad ending to an otherwise fantastic meal. The sorbet was obviously (to me) refrozen and contained lots of small bits of ice. Since I was honest with the waiter when asked about the other dishes (great! the best! incredible!), I told him the truth about the sorbet. He immediately offered us something else even though I ate every drop of the sorbet. I honestly didn’t want anything except to let them know that they had a bad batch of ice cream on their hands. A minute later Elliot came over and was very apologetic and offered to comp us, free desserts and some other things. I refused everything but they never charged us for dessert. Kudos to them. And on the way out, Elliot said the next time dessert’s on the house.

The only other complaint I have is regarding the bathrooms. Yes, they were meticulously clean and also drop dead gorgeous. BUT WHAT’S WITH THE CHEAP-O C-FOLD TOWELS! It brought flashbacks/nightmares of a place I worked at which made me dizzy. But don’t get me started about a place that spends $1 million (easily) on construction and cheaps out and saves a few bucks on towels.

But I digress. I studied the dinner menu while waiting for our food. Every single dish was prepared two ways. On one side, the heading was “traditional”, or something like that. On the other side was the same dish with a slightly different description under the hading “signature.” The prices were the same either way. Quite an interesting menu.

Lunch for 2 including tax and 2 glasses of wine was $65. Quite reasonable. Dinner entrees seemed to average around $24 with the most expensive (steak) at $34.

It’s a little tricky getting to with all the construction downtown. Take Columbus Ave. almost to the water and make a left on Greene and the parking entrance is on the right. There’s free parking in the Harborside building.

Dang, how could I forget to mention the bar! Check it out in the photos - it's got the blue lounge seats. Are you tired of the term "drop dead gorgeous?" Your Tuesday night problem is solved.

glenn, sounds like a nice surprise.

is there a bar at which i could park my fat self for dinner alone tonight?

also, what kind of selection of wines by the glass did they offer?

and what's so bad about c-fold towels?  are you saying cloth is preferred?

I overlooked the rest of your question though it's obviously too late. c-folds are coarse on my fine hands. When I dine and pee in luxury, I wanna wipe my mouth and hands in appropriately matched swab. And no, I don't mean cloth, just a nice soft paper towel. Something a step above CBGB's. And just for the rekkid, I only use Bounty at home.

I never saw the wine list and they didn't list wines by the glass on the menu. Come to think of it, they never offered me a wine list. I had pinot noir ($8) by the glass. Well, 2 glasses. It was excellent I never asked the name though. The offerings were disappointingly basic - cab sauvignon, merlot, chianti and pinot noir for reds. Didn't ask about white.

Rosie, whenever you're ready just holler. I have nothing better to do with my life these days except check out the competititon ;-0

Edited by glenn (log)

In!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We are talking about lunch--right???

That was my understanding. The late side would be best as they seem to be mostly emtpy. Like around 2. I'm free (or can set myself free) on Tue, Wed and Fri next week and Wed, thu, Fri in the last week of Sept. I'd volunteer to arrange it, though I'm sure I'd screw something up.

Sine this is gonna be an eglutton thing, let's do this. Since Rosie's paying or bringing the soft towels for the bathroom (I forget which), let's do it in Oct. It's a fairly small restaurant, so I think we should limit it to like 10, though I doubt that'll be a problem. So everyone shout out their availability for the first 2 weeks in Oct. I'm not available 10/13-14 and 10/11 is a holiday.

I'm available 10/13, 10/14, 10/15, 10/20, 10/21 and 10/22. Will they allow us to BYO?

Also, what time were you thinking of? I go to yoga and wouldn't want to miss standing on my head before having lunch with Glenn. 12:30--1 would be fine. 1 would be best. Could do 10/12 if it was at 1 PM.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I just noticed that Michael Cetrulo is the chef/owner. Is this the same Michael Cetrulo that owned La Campagna in Morristown? The same MC that I worked for briefly in high school in Morris Plains??

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I just noticed that Michael Cetrulo is the chef/owner. Is this the same Michael Cetrulo that owned La Campagna in Morristown? The same MC that I worked for briefly in high school in Morris Plains??

No it is the Michael Cetrulo who owns Scalini Fedeli and Il Mondo Vecchio. You went to school with his brother Joseph Cetrulo who owns Adagio, 401 Springfield Avenue, Summit and Il Campagna.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I have to look at my calendar tomorrow; will let you know ASAP re: my availability.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hey tommy, get your prioritites in order! great lunch, great company, what could possibly be more important? Or maybe I'll drop by Tues night.

Rosie, if you wanna call Elliot or Michael and ask 'em about byo, cool. I ain't gonna do it. Isn't that a bit tacky?

As far as a date, like I said I'm pretty open for a while. 9/28 isn't the greatest though, but I can reschedule THAT appointment. Whatever the overwhelming majority sez. [do we have enough for a quorum?]