• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A mid level and upper level Sangiovese?

Michael M

For the past few years I've been contemplating switching careers into the wine field, though I'm not sure what that means just yet. Some classes, much studying and even more sipping later, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I guess they say that the first step to mastering a subject is to realize how much you don't know.

And part of my problem is that at home I tend to focus on (hopefully) great under-$15 wines that I can afford to drink every day. Over the years, it's helped my palate to open up 2 or 3 bottles of one type of wine or grape and compare them. So I feel confident that my palate can at least identify the flavor profiles of some of the basic grapes and their styles.

But I really can't say that until I'm able to identify what makes a better-than-I-usually-drink wine better. So, want to help? I love Sangiovese, and I figure it's mostly grown (successfully) in Italy, so there isn't a New Zealand style Sangiovese vs. an Argentinian style just yet.

Can you recommend a mid-level S. to compare to my usual, then also an upper-level? Maybe a series of Brunellos and a series of Chiantis?

Michael,

What area of the country do you live in? I'm just wondering if, in addition to recommending specific wines for you to try, some folks here might be able to suggest some local wine classes.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

This may be a bit pedantic, but should you compare Brunellos with sangiovese wines as it is a slightly different (clone) grape called sangiovese grosso. It would be an interesting (and enjoyable) exercise to taste Brunellos against similarly priced and aged Chianti Reservas to see which offered the better quality/value.

This may be a bit pedantic, but should you compare Brunellos with sangiovese wines as it is a slightly different (clone) grape called sangiovese grosso.  It would be an interesting (and enjoyable) exercise to taste Brunellos against similarly priced and aged Chianti Reservas to see which offered the better quality/value.

Well this is not exactly the case anymore. While they call sangiovese Brunello in Montalcino and Prugnolo Gentile in Montepulciano, the fact is that none of these names refers only to one type of vine, but to segments of a broad family of sangiovese. Therefore it would not be unusual to have a Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montalcino or a Chianti Classico made out of exactly the same clone of sangiovese. Over the last decades research has continued to to identify the finest clones of sangiovese and producers throughout central and southern Italy are choosing from these same clones.

The best sangiovese wines are from Tuscany followed by Umbria, Romagna and Marche. Tuscany is the clearly leader, but you can find some top wines in other regions. Most notably the fine wines from Fattoria Zerbina in Romagna. Here are some good flights to learn about the flavors of sangiovese

1. Low Price: Monte Antico, Banfi Rosso di Montalcino, Fattoria Zerbina Ceregio, Saladini Pilastri Rosso Piceno (70% sangiovese), Poggio Argentiera Morellino di Scansano BellaMarsilia, Terrabianca Chianti Classico Scassino, Fattoria Uccelliera Chianti

2. Medium price: Felsina Chianti Classico, Riecine Chianti Classico, Fuligni Rosso di Montalcino, Fattoria dei Barbi Rosso di Montalcino, Il Poggiolo Rosso di Montalcino, Boscarelli Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Le Fonti Chianti Classico, Terrabianca Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna della Croce

3. High price: Montevertine Le Pergole Torte, Costanti Brunello di Montalcino, Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino, Lisini Brunello di Montalcino, Fattoria Zerbina Pietramora, Monsanto Chianti Classico Il Poggio Riserva, Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva, Riecine Chianti Classico Riserva

I love sangiovese! The only US one I have really liked was Seghesio and way back in the 80's Cavatappi from Washington.

Can I add, Da Majo Norante from Molise, Brolio Chianti, Terrabianca Campaccio, Castelgiocondo Brunello, Moris Farms Morrelino Riserva, Lodola Nuova Vino Nobile 2000. I would echo the selction of Le Fonti Chianti. I love the 20001.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Perhaps Craig can respond to this curious bit of marketing:

Calvano's US importer Kobrand has Point-of-Sale material stating the Vino Nobile is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Prugnolo Gentile!

Is this just nonsense or can you shed some light on this, per favore!

Perhaps Craig can respond to this curious bit of marketing:

Calvano's US importer Kobrand has Point-of-Sale material stating the Vino Nobile is 95% Sangiovese and 5% Prugnolo Gentile!

Is this just nonsense or can you shed some light on this, per favore!

No this is the reality. Prugnolo Gentile is just one group of sangiovese clones, but most producers have been replanting with clones selected by various research projects like Chianti Classico 2000 and the Banfi sponsored research in Montalcino. These clones are not Prugnolo Gentile, but the DOCG regulations only call for minimum percentages of sangiovese not Prugnolo Gentile.

Where do Rosso di Montalcino and Rosso di Montepulciano fit in? Are they both Sangiovese? I tend to think of them as "baby" Brunello and Vino Nobile.........they're two of my go-to Italian wines in the $30-40 range when we eat out.

Where do Rosso di Montalcino and Rosso di Montepulciano fit in? Are they both Sangiovese?  I tend to think of them as "baby" Brunello and Vino Nobile.........they're two of my go-to Italian wines in the $30-40 range when we eat out.

Rosso di Montalcino is 100% sangiovese just like Brunello di Montalcino. Rosso di Montepulciano is a blended wine based on sangiovese just like Vino Nobile di Montepulcino. (remember that Tuscan red wines from Montepulciano contain to wine from the vine called Montepulciano)

They are both great values.