• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barista competitions

Kyle_Larson

Hello everybody, this is my first post on eGullet.com and I am very excited to be here. I work as a barista in Seattle and have decided to work in coffee as a career. Over the last few years I am sure a few of you have heard of the Barista Competitions that take place. They are similiar to that of a cook off or cooking competition. The NorthWest Regional competition will be held in September, and I encourage all of you members residing in Portland to come and check it out. As a barista, I am trying to elevate my craft to the level of culinary excellence you would come to expect at a Michelin restaurant. Hope to see you there.

I work at a cafe in seattle called Zoka Coffee Roaster and Tea Company. In my humble opinion, one of the top cafes in Seattle. If you are looking for good coffee in Portland look know further than Stumptown or Crema Cafe(no website yet). The Northwest regional competition will take place on September 10th in Portland at the convention center. If you are curious about the Barista competition there are several pictures of this year's World Barista Championship wbc These things are pretty cool and the level of excellence in service, preparation, and presentation just keeps going each year.

Ciao,

Kyle :smile:

Edited by Kyle_Larson (log)

It's great to have you here, Kyle. Welcome! We don't get into the level of obsessive detail here about things like as the nuances of various espresso machines, such as one might find at Coffeegeek, but you will find some friendly and informed discussion. I find great satisfaction in the level of interplay that exists here between coffee, food, cooking, dining and all the culinary arts.

Browse through some recent threads and you'll find, among other things, some intriguing discussion of a superheated steam coffee roasting process and also the Matsuya paper drip method (many thanks to our esteemed member Hiroyuki for filling us in on these processes!).

I was fortunate enough to visit Zoka in early July when I did a day of training at ESI and enjoyed my machiatto - I'll try to get back in when you're on duty next time I breeze through Seattle.

Can you tell us more about Crema Cafe and perhaps offer general commentary on the coffee and espresso scene in Portland? I've been to Stumptown and was duly impressed but was only in town for one day and had no opportunity to check out other places.

Hey all,

Just here to update about Crema, the other cafe to check out in Portland besides Stumptown(although, Crema uses Stumptown coffee). Crema is owned and operated by Brent Fortune, a man with serious passion for quality in coffee. Brent has participated and helped out in several barista competitions and was a judge at this years USBC(United States Barista Competition) in Atlanta. The man knows his stuff and I can guarantee you a good cup of coffee there. Another of Crema's assets is Billy Wilson. Billy has placed 5th place in the nation twice and besides that is considered by many in the industry to be one of the more skilled and knowledgeable barista in the country. Mr. Wilson works at Crema as a barista and if you are lucky enough to have him pull you a shot I can again guarantee you will not be disappointed.

With the combination of Brent, Billy, and Stumptown beans I don't understand why you should not be in Crema. I can hear it calling your name....

Anyway, here's the address:

Crema

2728 SE ankeny st

Portland, OR

That's very cool - I didnt' know Billy had relocated. He used to be in Vancouver WA near the border by Interstate 5, right? I never had a chance to visit him there but I have a cousin in Portland and will likely get out there within the next year - I'll be sure to check out Crema when I'm there.

• 5 weeks later...