• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Reception in Paris

Mouthwatering

Hi there,

We will be married next September in Paris and are looking for a suitable place to hold our reception. Although our finances won't hold up to the Tour D'argent we are looking for a good quality restaurant which will also hold upto 150 guests. Something like Le Toupary would be ideal however this requires 300 guests for us to be able to book the restaurant. Alternatively a decent hotel could suffice. Do you have any advice? I am willing to pay around 50-100 a head. Thanks,

Edited by Mouthwatering (log)

A great question and a great occasion. Mazel tov!

Our favorite French couple recently went through this dilemma and settled on Georges at the Pompidou rather than the Jules Verne at the Eiffel Tower - unfortunately I don't know the number of covers in each (their websites should tell). (P.S. they finally held it at the "family estate" on an island off Brittany and that was magnificent). There is a guidebook that lists all the salles particulaires but I can't find it right now. I'll ponder it.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

The Michelin Red Guide has a listing of restaurants with salons particuliers that might give you somewhere to start. If money weren't an object, I'd recommend le Pré Catalan in the Bois de Boulogne. I suppose you couldn't cut the invitation list, eh? :rolleyes:

I'd recommend le Pré Catalan in the Bois de Boulogne.

I just had a thought in thinking about Le Pré Catalan, which is a great place to have a reception. I once ate there as part of a group function and it got me to thinking of other such events; two of which were in the Great Hall at the Hotel de Ville and the Reception Room at the Opera Garnier at catered events where their caterers were the equivalent of starred chefs. Now I know that both functions were arranged by some pretty branché folks and I suspect it takes some piston with the management of both to arrange these soirées, which may be beyond your capacity or willingness (it is beyond mine), but both were spectacular sites, both meals were wonderful and as a guest I had a great time and will remember them forever.

John Talbott

Thanks for all the answers so far. I had also thought of Le Pré Catalan (great minds think alike!) but didn't really know whether they would provide a menu for 100€ - especially when some of their entrees cost 75€!! Is it even possible to negotiate with a restaurant as classy as the Pré Catalan??!! Regarding Georges at Pompidou, I like the restaurant for lunch but I suspect some of my guests won't appreciate the minimalist decoration as it renders the atmosphere quite stark to the untrained eye!

I know that most michelin starred restaurants simply don't have the capacity for such numbers and as my wedding will fall on a Friday some places require that I "privatise" the evening. I'll definitely reflect on the Opera Garnier idea though....I am currently finishing off a post grad course in Dublin but am returning to Paris this week where I have lived for the past 8 years. It may also be that my future father-in-law could provide a piston but we are waiting till we get back to share our news so I haven't been able to ask him yet.

Thanks once again and in advance for any more answers. :wub:

Is it even possible to negotiate with a restaurant as classy as the Pré Catalan??!!

Absolutely. We had a birthday celebration at a pricey game place and the negotiated menu was way way under what we would have paid a la carte. And I knew the folks that arranged the Pre Catalan dinner I attended and they too negotiated a very reasonable deal. You know there's also the Pavillion des Princes which is a superb setting too.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott