• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Addie's, Rockville

sweetfreak

I was at Cactus Cantina on Friday night, Bobby Van's on Saturday, and Addie's in Rockville last night. Random mix, I know, various invitations.

Am mustering up the energy to post about Bobby Van's...the steaks were a nightmare.

Also, why is there no love for Addie's? I went for the first time last night and really enjoyed it...will post on that later too.

Addie's is cool. YOu can often spot me, Mrs JPW, and Peanut there for lunch on Saturday when we are running errands around Rockville Pike.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I was at Cactus Cantina on Friday night, Bobby Van's on Saturday, and Addie's in Rockville last night. Random mix, I know, various invitations.

Am mustering up the energy to post about Bobby Van's...the steaks were a nightmare.

Also, why is there no love for Addie's? I went for the first time last night and really enjoyed it...will post on that later too.

Addie's is, imho, the best restaurant on the pike. When I lived in Rockville, I tried to steer any occasion there. Now I live in the District and it's not quite as convenient. Other favorites on the pike: A&J, Il Pizzico, and when I'm in a hurry, Eatzi's and Chicken Out. i'm still looking for equivalents down here...

Addies is tops on my list for the Rockville Pike area. I've been approx 4 times in the last 6+ months, and have really enjoyed it. The grilled prociutto-wrapped fresh mozz is spectacular, and most of the entrees we have had have been excellent. The cardamom creme brulee was the best dessert I have tried there. The only complaint I have is that though there are daily specials, the menu did not seem to change at all between the first time we went (January) and the last time (late June). I did not even change to accomodate the summer veggies. Has anybody else noticed this?

I have a soft spot for Addie's because we ate there the night before our daughter was born. :smile: Other than that, it's good, close to home (babysitter issues), and one of the only nice, non-chain restaurants in Rockville. In 5 years I've had one bad dish, and it wasn't really bad, just boring.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

So, I had a very good experience at Addie's last weekend. My first time, we were a group of five, and all enjoyed their food.

The bread basket was interesting, I particularly enjoyed an olive bread. So much that I ate three pieces.

As an entree, I had the roast chicken with a marscapone-herb orzo. The chicken was moist and flavorful and the orzo was a delicious companion. Nothing fancy here, just solid cooking.

The dessert may have been the best I have had in a while (and I typically do order dessert). I can't tell you what it was called on the menu because I didn't order it, but I would describe it as a mix between a molten chocolate cake and a blondie. It was sweet, cruncy, nutty, warm, with toffee. So good.

All-in-all, Addie's was a pleasant surprise and I would happily return.

Entree prices around $20. Apps. under $10.

We ate outside on the patio. The patio is quite lovely, but the only drawback is that it overlooks Rockville Pike. Still it is set back enough that the Pike is not overly bothersome.

The actual restaurant looks like somebody's house. Really cozy. Even the restrooms make you feel like you are in someone's home. Very cozy and cute inside.

The actual restaurant looks like somebody's house. Really cozy. Even the restrooms make you feel like you are in someone's home. Very cozy and cute inside.

It WAS someone's house.

Good honest food. Quality ingredients, simply prepared. It provides a meal that will not astonish you in any way, but you'll be very happy that you went when you leave.

PS - stop in at Dietle's next door for a digestif (or 2 or 5)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

The house was one of the things that made me want to stop in there! Our first time there was on a super cold night in January. The warmth of the house and the staff that evening ensured that we would return many times. Since then, the same waiter and the busboy have recognized and welcomed us each time, and the familiarity has made Addie's very homey to us. That in addition to the comforting and simple fare.

JPW - I'll have to try Dietle's! I had been wondering about it!

PS- Was just reading the Montgomery County regional section of the Post. Dietle's got nailed for selling to a minor.

Doh!!!

Joe W

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We stopped at Addie's for dinner last night after hours of home renovation shopping in Rockville. (We're redoing our kitchen. We currently have no kitchen and are eating lots of meals out). I've wanted to go there for years and it's never been convenient to stop there. We had about a half hour wait for a table, which would have been less of a problem if we weren't so exhausted. The wait was absolutely worth it.

We both started with black bean soup (with chorizo, cilantro, and sour cream or creme fraiche drizzled over the top), which was the soup special of the day. It was the perfect soup for a cold winter's night in late May :blink: . It's the best black bean soup either of us had had in a long time. My husband got the roasted chicken and could not stop raving about the sauce. The menu described it as lemon thyme jus, but I tasted a flavor in there I couldn't recognize. Maybe it was something caramelized. I don't know. The jus was very good. I didn't get any of the chicken :sad:. That came with mascarpone orzo and baby vegetables. I got the Gulf shrimp linguine with spinach, which was done very well.

It was a wonderful meal in a cozy environment and the antedote to a long, frazzling day. I know where we're going for dinner next time we have to be out in Rockville. :smile:

We stopped at Addie's for dinner last night after hours of home renovation shopping in Rockville. (We're redoing our kitchen.  We currently have no kitchen and are eating lots of meals out).  I've wanted to go there for years and it's never been convenient to stop there.  We had about a half hour wait for a table, which would have been less of a problem if we weren't so exhausted.  The wait was absolutely worth it.

We both started with black bean soup (with chorizo, cilantro, and sour cream or creme fraiche drizzled over the top), which was the soup special of the day.  It was the perfect soup for a cold winter's night in late May :blink: .  It's the best black bean soup either of us had had in a long time.  My husband got the roasted chicken and could not stop raving about the sauce.  The menu described it as lemon thyme jus, but I tasted a flavor in there I couldn't recognize.  Maybe it was something caramelized.  I don't know.  The jus was very good.  I didn't get any of the chicken :sad:. That came with mascarpone orzo and baby vegetables.  I got the Gulf shrimp linguine with spinach, which was done very well. 

It was a wonderful meal in a cozy environment and the antedote to a long, frazzling day.  I know where we're going for dinner next time we have to be out in Rockville. :smile:

You should also try their restaurants in Garrett Park and Bethesda (Black's Bar & Grill)-neither of which is ever mentioned on here. Black Salt, on MacArthur is their best. Unfortunately, many people know this and they now have a one month wait for a Friday or Saturday reservation unless you are willing to go at 5:30 or 9:00. Weeknights and Sunday are booked solid also.

You should also try their restaurants in Garrett Park and Bethesda (Black's Bar & Grill)-neither of which is ever mentioned on here.  Black Salt, on MacArthur is their best.  Unfortunately, many people know this and they now have a one month wait for a Friday or Saturday reservation unless you are willing to go at 5:30 or 9:00.  Weeknights and Sunday are booked solid also.

Garrett Park is the only Black's I haven't been to. I like the raw bar at Black's in Bethesda a lot, but I'm not out there that often. Honestly, it's not the most scientific sampling, but I like Addie's the best of the three Black's I've been to, based on the food and overall experience.