• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gravy

caroline

no...a curry itself wouldn't be a gravy but the sauce part of the curry is. (if that makes sense)

eg: sya i'm having egg curry and rice for dinner. It's basically whole hardboiled eggs, and i put 2 of those eggs on your plate. then i say, "here...take some more gravy for your rice" and put some of the sauce on your plate to wet the rice with.

which i think is similar to calling ragu gravy - it's the sauce that you put on top of stuff.

Gravy; have you ever had a classic Italian meat sauce, or how some call it a ragu, it is an incredible rich meat sauce, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, fresh parsley, basil, oregano, bay leafs, pork bones with lots of meat on it. Simmered for hours when this stuffs cold it looks like gravy, they put it over every thing.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Thanks Stovetop and Tryska,

Helpful comments. And yes I quite get the point that the meat is not gravy, just the sauce.

If I remember right gravy was used the same way in Hawaii. You could order a noodle dish with gravy which of course had shoyu etc. but it went by the name of gravy.

Amazing how far the terminology of the British Empire stretched!

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

But, my mystery of the week is how in the heck to get a good brown gravy to serve with meatloaf. There is this commercial for some kind of antacid where the lady is serving a great looking meatloaf and this lovely brown gravy.

my last gravy for meatloaf - i made with "better than buillion" beef flavor - a tablespoon of that simmered in a cup i think of water.

well actually first i made a roux, cooked mushrooms in it, and then added the "stock". simple, yummy, tasted good with meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

I made almost exactly the same thing last night. Only, I cook the mushrooms first, with butter, OO, garlic. When they are done, sprinkle on a little flour to make the roux. I get it to the right consistancy with water, then add a drop of BNB. Taste, add a little brandy and flambe (or just use some wine -- maybe I did this before adding the flour?). Stir, taste, add salt or more BNB, and/or steak sauce. It's better made with real concentrated stock, but BNB is great to have on hand.

I actually used this for a london broil I had made last week and frozen in slices for a quick meal. Cook the meat rare, so that it doesn't get overcooked when reheated in the sauce. Gravy is a great way to reheat leftover meatloaf too. Or turkey (use chicken stock or BNB). When at a very low simmer, it is much gentler on the meat than the microwave or toaster oven.

i should try it your way next time, rachel. adding the flour to the mushrooms after they've softened, and adding some alcohol. maybe a sprig of thyme.

actually i just remembered along with the mushrooms i added some onion too.