• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alibaba

bloviatrix

Normally, I write about kosher places on the kosher restaurant thread, but I think this place will appeal to anyone who's looking for reasonably priced eats on the UWS.

Alibaba is a bit of a hole-in-the-wall on Amsterdam btw 84th and 85th. They can seat about 8 but mostly they do a take-out business (they also deliver in the neighborhood) They serve yemeni/middle eastern food that's extremely fresh and very tasty. On my first visit I ordered the falafel in a lafa rather than a pita. Let me tell you, this is a big sandwich. The falafel balls are some of the best I've ever tasted. Nicely seasoned and not greasy. You are given a choice of fillings which includes tehina, hummus, eggplant, harrissa, mutbacha and israeli salad. Additionally they give you a small plate for "salad" which includes assorted pickles, carrot salads, cabbage salads, and other choices. I've also tried their shawarma (turkey) which was also very good.

They are closed on the sabbath, but otherwise they're opened until about 2 am.

Alibaba menu

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yemenite pita bread is basically a large wrap-like tortilla thing. Not sure if that is the same as a lafa though.

In Israel, when you ask for yemenite pita for your felafel, thats what they wrap it in.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I made a quick stop at Alibaba's when I made a run up to Supersol's (it's across the street, catty-corner) a few weeks ago. The salad bar blew me away -- I didn't know what to pick first, everything looked so beautiful. I ended up with cabbage salad and spiced carrots. Both were fresh and very good quality. The falafel was good too, wrapped in a piping hot pita -- although it's extra garlicky. I think I was breathing garlic fumes for the next 48 hours.

And what's a lafa?  Is it yeast based?

I don't know the exact ingredients that are used to make lafa but it resembles pita in that it is a flat bread. At another great Yemeni Shwarma/Falafel cafe, Super Pita @ Coney Island Avenue, Brooklyn (between Ditmas and Newkirk), lafa appears to be a very large, rectangular version of pita. However, at Super Pita they do not use lafa as a pocket bread, rather they piled the shwarma, lettuce, vegetables, and sauces on top of the bread and then rolled the bread in a piece of foil.

In terms of portions--pita=medium size; lafa=super size (burp! excuse me.) :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
One question: What's mutbacha?

Sorry not to respond sooner, but I wanted to look at the ingredients of a prepared mutbacha before I got back to you (I couldn't find any recipes in any of my cookbooks). Anyway it's tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, and assorted spices -- basically a middle eastern salsa. Sabra Salads makes a version of it that you might be able to find in one of your local markets in case you want to try it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs