• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Spy Valley & Val Cerasa

Michael M

Boy, do I spend a lot of time lurking here, gathering great rec's, researching purchases, but never contributing. I was doing this again tonight thinking to myself, "Shouldn't you contribut something?" Much fretting of the guilt muscles later, I figured I'd toss out 2 recent everyday wines I enjoyed as (I hope) karmic payback.

#1) 2003 Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc; Marlborough, NZ. I really, really love this grape in all its forms, especially this time of the year. After being wowed by the 2002 last year, I snapped up a few 2003's when they came out. Had one bottle right away, and it was sort of like sucking on a kumquat (not a good sell, I realize, but wait...).

But now, only a few months later, on a rare 85 degree sunny day here in Chicago, I tried it again. The acidity had mellowed and: poppingly bright citrus and passionfruit on the nose, backed by little hints of mineral. It's the kind of whiff that makes you salivate. A nice, somewhat plumpish, round mouthful of lively tropical fruits follows, the acids now an exhilirating citrusy tang, all grounded by some nice minerally notes. Just barely off-dry. Yum. $12.

Had it by itself (so so), with some goat and sheep cheeses (excellent) and a spicy white bean soup (great).

#2 2001 Val Cerasa Etna Rosso, Sicilia. This $11 is an incredible bargain. Grown in the volcanic soil of Mr. Etna, it's a blend of Sicilian Nerello Mascalese (80%) and Nerello Capuccio (20%). Do you like the dark, rich, romantic flavor profile of Negro Amaro or Pinto Nero? Then this is for you as well.

A rich, welcoming, plummy, baked dark cherry nose with an enticing seductive earthiness and hints of smoke. What follows is a medium bodied, nicely balanced fruit cup of the cherry, plum, bits of green pepper and that earthy/smokey quality, all nicely grounded with moderate tannins and acidity. Very fruit forward, yet with real balance. Nice long finish as well.

I've had this alone, with red-sauced anything, and with grilled lamb. It's all good.

Michael, welcome! Well, welcome to posting, anyway!

Your writeup is great! Very descriptive and mouthwatering. I agree that a NZ Sauvignon Blanc is just the ticket in August, but I'm not at all familiar with Spy Valley, so thanks for posting this! I hope you'll pitch in more often!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook