• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gerbet macaroons

jim_jimmers

hi folks. my first real post, so here goes...

I have a quick question and I think you guys are the people to ask. When I make gerbet macaroons that are colored (red, green, blue, etc) I have 2 problems

1) the color is too light. Red turns to pink, green to aqua, and so on. I have used the gel, powder and liquid colors. Is this just an issue of not enough color in the mix?

and

2) if I keep them in the oven as long as it takes to get them done, they start to brown; which detracts from their color.

Any ideas on these? You should know that I am making them about 1.5 to 2 inches across. (It's what the restaurant I work at wants.)

Thnkas for any ideas

R

Hi Jim_jimmers, welcome to eg!

I don't think theres one answer with-out seeing your recipe and what your setting your oven at while baking, etc.... post your procedure too and it will make it easier for us to help. If you have a photo of your product you can show that would be great.

Macaroons are all about subtletys.

here you go

7 ounces egg whites

1 ounce sugar

1 tablespoon dried egg whites

8 ounces almond flour

16 ounces powdered sugar

if desired food coloring -- any color that reflects the selected interior filling

in mixing bowl whip the egg whites to froth. stir sugar and dried egg whites together, add to the frothed egg whites and whip to stiff peaks

sift almond flour and powdered sugar together to combine well

fold almond flour mixture into the stiff whipped egg whites

when the almond flour is incorporated, but the mixture looks dull, fold more until the batter obtains a light shine

pipe the macaroons with a medium plain tip, 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch tall on a silicone mat or baking paper

rest for 20 minutes before baking

bake at 400* for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown

remove from silicone mat when cold

fill with lemon curd, ganache, any flavored butter cream, jam, etc.

Yield:

"120 petit four"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well I don't see anything horribly wrong with your recipe or procedure. I wouldn't be able to get that yield from that recipe though.

All I can say is every oven is different and a little tweaking/playing around should help you find your answer in your enviroment.

I'm not experienced enough on macaroons to solve your color issues. I've never colored mine. I can only think it has to be results of the intensity/quality of the coloring product your using. Personally I prefer less intense color such as you got. I wouldn't find a true red colored macaroon nearly as appealing as a pink one. But I suppose thats a matter of opinion.

For baking- your browning issue, (I use Herme's recipe and instructions). For a non fan oven....a "sole" oven as he refers it to: He bakes 2 minutes on 475F to seal, then turns down to 375f to finish. For petite fours it's more like 7 to 8 minutes in the oven.

For a fan assisted oven he goes with 285F, double panning with open draught.

Even though I have a fan convection oven I prefer to follow the first baking method with the hotter temp.s and fan off or on low. Your not supposed to bake until they are browned (as you wrote), just baked/set.

bake them at 300 max in a convection to keep them from coloring. you can crack the door halfway thru to make sure they crisp up.

the colorants will change a little. you have to experiment and find one that yields the baked color you are looking for. many different shades available...

Just a guess but if your recipe can tolerate it, you might try adding a bit of cocoa powder to get the color right.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

bake them at 300 max in a convection to keep them from coloring. you can crack the door halfway thru to make sure they crisp up.

the colorants will change a little. you have to experiment and find one that yields the baked color you are looking for. many different shades available...

good idea. thanks

Well, for green...I don't know. I was thinking of red and cocoa - like in red velvet cake. For frosting, I've heard you can add some black? to deepen your colors maybe it would work here.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I want some! What else is in them? pistachio? little red bits?

the bits are bits of pistachio. the are brownish red. they still start to brown more than i would like. and if i pull them out when they are the perfect color, they fall apart becuase they're under done. but this is a great first step.