• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alto Adige wines

Ted Task

Just returned from a tasting of the newly bottled 2003 vintage from this producer. We tasted with and around a superior lunch at Galileo in DC, (I'll report on the food under the DC thread). As I have NO commercial interest, I think I can speak very candidly. Overall quality was very high, we tasted the following :Pinot Grigio, nice weight, round and fuller bodied than most of the insipid juice we normally see. Pinot Bianco (a personal favorite from Alsace, Oregon and Santa Barbara) this was a lovely rendition, with good acidity to match the food. Sauvignon Blanc that had a Pouilly Fume character, fuller bodied, with less harsh acidity than usually seen. Chardonnay that was served MUCH to cold, when it warmed and opened it was more than repspectable. Next was the KILLER, a single vineyard Gewurtz (Nussbaumer) of Zind Humbrecht, Schlumberge, Weinbach quality.

Last and certainly not least was an aromatic LAGREIN, this (VERY old) varietal was

a treat, with an aged cheese selection, I want to drink it with veal, lamb and/or

venison, as I think about it with bison too.

These wines are imported by Winebow, so they should be in fairly good distribution, especially on their home turf of NY and NJ. Go and try for yourself.

Ted Task