• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mr. Jenkins, I really enjoy all your answers, and am particularily fond of your honest 'down to CHEESE' comments.

Does Fairway carry any 'decent' Quark, you have been to Germany and must have tasted/tested various 'fat' content versions (10, 20, 30 & 40 percent)

anything like that available ?

Also 'Harzer' or 'Mainzer Handkaes' ?

Quark is needed to make a 'decent' Cheesecake.

Thank you

Peter

Hello Peter

We (Fairway) stock quark; German, no fat, low fat, full fat. It's around town; comes in from Haram-Christenson.

I thought our Ben's (Houston St.) fresh cream cheese (no gums) was the integral ingredient for cheesecake. Normandy fromage blanc.

I don't bother with German handkase. Pasteurized, mass-production; all I get is the smelly from them. No articulable flavor from the interior other than cheesiness. Vastly prefer other stuff from France and Northern Italy.