• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chenin blanc.

pedro

Since I'm relatively new to this grape variety, I would appreciate your recommendations of wines produces with it.

I've very much enjoyed the handful of chenin wines that I've tasted, so I'm determined to taste some more and see what happens.

Thanks in advance, guys.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

I stick exclusively to the Loire. Vouvray from Huet is top of the line. But also Pinon, Foreaux, Deletang, and Champalou can make good ones. Savennieres from Baumard, Pierre Bise, and Closel. A great bargain chenin is the Saumur from Les Medailles.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I stick exclusively to the Loire. Vouvray from Huet is top of the line. But also Pinon, Foreaux, Deletang, and Champalou can make good ones. Savennieres from Baumard, Pierre Bise, and Closel. A great bargain chenin is the Saumur from Les Medailles.

And if money is no object: Nicolas Joly Coulee de Serrant

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Forgot about Joly. Shame on me. And not just the Coulee de Serrant. The Joly "Becherelle" Savennieres is a great dry chenin.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I stick exclusively to the Loire.  Vouvray from Huet is top of the line.  But also Pinon, Foreaux, Deletang, and Champalou can make good ones.  Savennieres from Baumard, Pierre Bise, and Closel.  A great bargain chenin is the Saumur from Les Medailles.

And if money is no object: Nicolas Joly Coulee de Serrant

Phil

Nectar of the Gods. Nothing else like it. A transcendant experience the first time you try this.

The Vouvrays of Prince Poniatowski or the Montlouis from Francois Chidaine are also excellent. There's a wide range of styles available in Poniatowski wines, ranging from bone dry to quite sweet. All are of extraordinary quality. The Montlouis appellation is sort of the "Blue Collar Vouvray" area and the wines are often a great value simply because they aren't from the "high rent district" of Vouvray. Any of these wines are aromatic and well balanced with sweetness, honeysuckle aromas and bracing acidity. Truly one of my favorite things next to a plate of Spicy Tuna Tartare. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Your recommendations have all been written down.

I have to say that I started tasting chenin through Joly wines, specifically Coulée de Serrant 87. After that bottle, qualified by many of our tasting group as an alien wine, I've sampled some 89 and a more recent vintage which I can't remember (98?). Impressive wines, not easy to drink in the beginning, but which can cause a serious addiction as an eGulleter colleague wrote in a spanish wine forum.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Lots of good comments so far.

I've had wine from Coulee de Serrant that didn't blow me away, but I've had others that did. Rumor has it that post-95 vintages are more reliable.

Chidaine now makes Vouvray too, and very good Vouvray at that.

No one has mentioned sparking Loire/Vouvray. Huet's is stunning and not too pricey but needs some age; others are often very good value. These wines are often labelled "Cremant de Loire" or "Vouvray Petillant".

Basic "Vouvray" bottlings are often light-bodied and a little bit sweet. Champalou's is a versatile wine; works well with lots of food from salad to stir fry.

Bottlings that say "Sec" are dry and often are good accompaniments to fish.

"Demi-Sec" bottlings are often full-bodied and a bit sweet. A good match for peaches and cream, or rich fish with a slightly sweet sauce or stir fry.

"Moulleux" are dessert wines.

--- Lee

Seattle

For Jasnieres, the wines of Eric Nicolas (Domaine de Belleviere) are quite good, in my limited experience. Available from Louis/Dressner, of course.

--- Lee

Seattle

• 1 month later...

An obscure but excellent loire-style sweet chenin blanc I had on a recent trip to south-west France: vin de lune from Clos Triguedina (better known as a Cahors producer). Beautiful with Foie Gras and apple tart, it costs about 20 Eur for a 50cl bottle and is available in the UK, not sure about the US

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

Second or third the Huet, Baumard, Pinon nominations above, and here are a few additional Loire chenins I've enjoyed recently:

Chateau de Varennes Savennieres, 2002

Domaine des Aubuissieres Vouvray, Cuvee de Silex, 2002

La Taille Aux Loups, Montlouis, Les Dix Arpents, 2003

Domaine de la Fontainerie, Vouvray, Coteau les Brules (demi-sec), 2002

All of them are drinking well right now, and the Fontainerie demi-sec especially has great potential to age beautifully. The 2002 and 2003 vintages in the Loire make this a great time to be exploring chenin blanc, and there are excellent values available.

Cheers,

Tom

Mad props to the Ken Forrester recommender. Another good choice for South African chenin blanc (more commonly called "Steen" in that country) is Mulderbosch's "Steen op Hout" bottling, made from 40+ year-old, dry farmed bushvines. It's a very polished wine and a steal at around $10 online (though the 2003 vintage, a good one, appears largely sold out) and $15 or so in stores. The estate is one of South Africa's most consistent when it comes to whites -- their Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay are both also worth a try.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I seem to recall that, domestically, Washington and Oregon are producing decent to good Chenin Blanc.

Anyone care to comment? I imagine they can't compare in quality/complexity to Loire examples, but might they be better bargains? Favorites?

rien

• 8 months later...
I seem to recall that, domestically, Washington and Oregon are producing decent to good Chenin Blanc.

Anyone care to comment? I imagine they can't compare in quality/complexity to Loire examples, but might they be better bargains? Favorites?

rien

Thought I would bump this up again to see if anyone has any comments on American Chenin Blanc. A few of the Chenin Blancs I've tasted from Sonoma/Napa have not been very distinctive with out much acidity--although I haven't made a concerted attempt to find them.

I was inspired to learn more after reading Craig Camp's recent great post on Savennieres Wines

Here's another article that discusses New World Chenin Blancs a bit but concludes:

Nearly all the truly memorable Chenin Blancs are French, from Saumur and Savennières (dry), Anjou and Vouvray (off-dry), Coteaux du Layon and Quarts de Chaume (dessert), and Crémant de Loire (sparkling). No matter the style, a certain floral, honeyed character, along with zesty acidity are the sensory trademarks of well-made Chenin Blanc. When conditions are right, Botrytis cinerea adds additional complexity and intensity.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I have had some very nice chenins from Chalone, although it has been awhile since I've had any.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I recently tasted a delicous white Chinon made from chenin blanc, in the dry style. The producer was Couly-Dutheuil.

What's the verbiage on the label to indicate the difference between dry and sweet?

Thanks!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I have had some very nice chenins from Chalone, although it has been awhile since I've had any.

I've also liked the Chalone CB in the past, though I've probably not had it in over 10 years.

It's not a pure CB, but recently I've been drinking the 2001 Pine Ridge blend of CB and Viogner (86%/14% blend). I find that the spine of acidity and peach/melon fruit from the CB combines well with the richness and floral character of the Viogner. I love the Viogner nose, but find much pure Viogner a little fat and flat to drink throughout the course of a night.

Other than those two, I've not found a lot of non-Loire CB that I like that much. I'd be interested in people's thoughts, as I should try some more.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

rien

Names, bitte?

For my own experience, I've never had an Oregon or Washington chenin that was anything other than foul. And with the pittance that the Loire guys get for their product (especially ex-cellar!), the motivation to branch out into domestic chenin just isn't there.

--- Lee

Seattle