• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Modern Roman Falernian Wine?

fifithewinecat

I have read a lot about the Romans drinking this great wine, made apparently in the area near Naples. I have read that it was a white wine, but have also read accounts that sound like it was also available as a red wine.

Does anybody know more about this wine, AND, would anybody knolwledgeable in modern Italian wines hazard a guess as to which wines available now might come closest to the old Roman Falernian??

--------------------------------------------------

"Wine Makes Everyone Hopeful"---Aristotle or Plato

"Wine Makes Everyone Hopeful"---Aristotle or Plato

You can find the answer to many of your questions here. Apparently this was a late-harvest wine aged for quite some time. That's a lot of labor involved, and only the very rich could afford it. The grape was named amenian, and seems to have vanished at the hands of both Mount Vesuvius and the emperor Domitian.

Edited to add -- I'm uncertain about modern wines that would approximate this wine. Perhaps a vendemmia tardive greco di tufo. But that's really just a guess.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Didn't Captain Kirk get sloshed on Falernian Wine while visiting the Federation's outpost on Romulac IV and wake up the next morning next to some hot blue chick with three arms?