• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

K Pauls Anniversary

saturnbar

In celebration of their twenty fifth anniversary, Kpauls is serving lunch and dinner this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 1979 prices, whatever those were. Since I work across the street, I can't pass this up. I haven't eaten there in over twenty years, I hope the food is still as good. Charlie

You work across the street from this??? Lucky stiff!!

Deep-Fried Duck Boudin Patty

A Classic Riced Sausage, Moist, Rich & Flavorful. A Cajun National Snack Made w/ Ground Duck, Onions, Garlic, Bell Pepper, Celery, Fresh Ground Beef, Pork Meat Magic and Baked in the Oven Until a Deep Flavor Develops, then Combined w/ Cooked Rice & Served with Boudin Butter Cream Sauce

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Perhaps a better question is: How does one work across the street and not eat there in 20 years? :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Perhaps a better question is: How does one work across the street and not eat there in 20 years? :blink:

If I were to guess Saturnbar's reasons, one doesn't eat there in twenty years because one chooses not to dine with the northern tourist hordes that have descended on the place constantly since the publication of _Louisiana Kitchen_. In 1985, I made the pilgrimage to K-Paul's, having made just about everything in that cookbook for my flummoxed college roommates back in Providence.

My pals and I stood in line for an hour eating oysters on the half shell, watching street performers, drinking cheap beer in plastic cups, and conversing without pronouning our "r"s -- all the while surrounded by other denizens sporting non-Nawrlins accents. I'm sure we were just ghastly both to hear and to behold, even by the standards of impeccably polite Louisianans. Who'd want to eat with such a crowd?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Is the Vieux carre wine store next door celebrating with 1979 prices?

Fingers Crossed!

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I seriously doubt that Vieux Carre Wines and Spirits is doing the same. :laugh::laugh:

I do love that place however. Those guys, upon request, have gotten more strange spirits for me over the years than anybody else. They will order anything if they can get it and the best part is that they used to give giant discounts to regulars AND they mix reasonably well made cocktails while you stand around and chat with the regulars (how many liquor stores do you know of with tables and chairs in the front window).

As far as K Pauls goes, the food is still really good. I ate there just after New Years and really enjoyed it.

I have a great K Pauls story involving the liquor store next door and poor behavior by me, but I can't seem to find it. It was in the "drunken meals" thread which I can't seem to find. I'm not proud of it, but it was funny (at least to me).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Let me guess, you got drunk at K-pauls then went next door and asked Blaise to see the back room. Then you dropped a couple of grand on 2 bottles of wine. Sounds all too familier.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

You too?! :raz::laugh:

It's those damn jars full of martinis. Too spicy to drink, to tasty to leave alone. They must have a hell of a time deciphering the credit card scratchings. Maybe THAT'S why they only took cash for so long.

Were you around for his upstairs sandwich place? It was great, but short lived in the early eighties.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Just back from lunch. True to their word, prices were low. Chicken Roulade Tchoupitoulas was $5.75. The blackened drum was $7.25. I had the aformentioned chicken which was a deboned leg stuffed with a breast and served with tasso, ham and, fried potatoes wth Bernaise Sauce. The Shrimp and Brie Champagne Cream Soup was the highpoint of the meal. I had a salad also, tipped 40% and got out of there only minus twenty bucs. The place was packed by 11:45. Funny thing was, I saw some tourists look at the menu and then take a pass. Talk about cheap. I am not sure that they are doing the special for dinner as well, in case anyone was considering it. One of my co-employees had the oyster loaf with onion rings as an appetizer, and the pork loin with oyster dressing as his entree. Now that was bold. ch

undefined
Were you around for his upstairs sandwich place? It was great, but short lived in the early eighties.
undefined

Mayhaw Man---I missed out on the sandwich shop, I was a little busy in grade school.