• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opportunities, Limitations

Hi Chef, thanks for participating.

First, I must thank you for helping me to appreciate Italian food again. Although I travelled around there for months with my parents as a child, my mother's Welsh-Italian red sauce clogged my mind as a teenager. Now I'm an old hag as you can see from my photograph. It wasn't until a few years ago that I saw the light in your EVOO ways by watching the Molto show and Mario Eats Italy. Then reading interviews with you on the web and your cookbooks brought me to some understanding of how Italian flavour profiles and ingredients can be handled as deftly as in Japanese and French cuisines. Bless you, St. Mario for you have blessed me.

Now, to my question: As a chef and restaurateur, what areas or opportunities are you looking to explore further? The flipside to that: Is there anything you feel limited or constrained by?

______

For bonus points and a chance to win a guess about what's behind door number three, what is your favourite cooking activity? (For example, for some reason I love chopping ten pounds of mushrooms and then hearing and smelling what happens when the hit the hot olive oil. Disregard this question if you don't want to win the Ferrari.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

the only limitation i have in life is time constraints... i am commited to doing good things that are fun so i am pretty freeee

i am now working on wine making in maremma, but am also working on a couple of ideas for larger scale salumi making and the inevitable sourcing of the pigs a otherwise i am always open to opening new restaurants with great cooks already on my team, as they move up and on it is good to offer them chance to own their own place in a sense that is the best thing i can do

my fave things to cook are simple pasta dishes with hard pasta, they are relentlessly good when done right and unforgivingly wrong when not mb