• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Seattle

Hello,

I'm moving up to Seattle in early July and would love

to get a list of the current favorites. A "best of" of e-gullet

in Seattle. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Istara, welcome to eG and to Seattle, hope you will enjoy both.

It's always easier to answer these kinds of questions with a little more information about your likes/dislikes and budget. Here are some names that I would bring up on any list of my recommendations and you can find plenty of posts about all of them if you do a quick search here on the name.

Union

Lark

Le Pichet

Harvest Vine

Brasserie Margaux

Porta

Matt's in the Market

Osteria La Spiga

Hope that gets you started and I'm sure others will chime in....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Hmm... I always have a hard time naming favorite restaurants. But, I do have some favorite food items.

Gelato from Gelatiamo or the one in Pike Place Market (I'm blanking on the name)

Potato bread from Dahlia Bakery

$2 calamari from Cascadia (part of the happy hour)

Burger from Red Mill

Olive foccacia slice from Macrina Bakery

Tacos at El Puerco Lloron

Bread at La Rustica (it comes with dinner and it's delicious)

That's all I can think of right now. Have fun exploring the city!

--braincell

I was thinking about this today. We have a lot of threads with similar requests and recommendations - quite current. Rather than recite the same list, I'm listing those places that I support regularly with my dollars:

Matt's in the Market (Top floor in the building across from the piggy bank and clock in the Pike Place Market.) Excellent specials, wine by the glass, catfish sandwiches...the staff!

Market Grill (small grilled fish counter in the heart of the Market.)

Troiani Italian Grill - fancy, close to Symphony Hall, interesting option for sit-down lunch as well.

Restaurant Zoe - Belltown - I like it and have had consistantly good meals. Dinner only.

Cascadia - Belltown - great happy hour - drinks and small bites.

Persimmon - Fremont - brunch, lunch - and now dinner. Small neighborhood place.

Lark. Read all about it on the thread. Dinner only.

Bakeries - Dahlia, Macrina, Essential, Cafe Besalu.

Baguette Box - new sandwich place on Capitol Hill.

Salumi - of course.

Dahlia Lounge and Etta's Seafood - both just a bit more expensive than I would like - but great with guests - and quite reliable.

Agua Verde - in the University District - water view, strong drinks, interesting Mex food - not expensive, kayak rentals downstairs.

Gelatiamo - downtown - gelato, pastry, and simple sandwiches.

Kisaku - sushi in Wallingford.

Chiso - sushi in Fremont.

PCC - groceries - really, I cook at home too!

Edited by tsquare (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Bizzaro's - in Wallingford

Le Gourmand - bottom of market street

Salute's - northwest of the U-village,

Toyoda Sushi - Lake City Way

Costa's - Freemont

Sarafina's - Eastlake

The Pink Door - Downtown

Il Terrazzo Carmine - pioneer square

Luau polynesian food - between Greenlake and Wallingford

Sechuanese(sp?) - Chinese Hot Pot (Go during the Winter) Redmond

Sea Garden - ID Seattle

Top Gun - ID Seattle

fast food:

Red Mill Burgers - Greenwood

Picora's Pizza - Madison?

Dick's Burgers - Wallingford, Ballard, Capitol Hill

Pagliacci's Pizza - Delivery and dine-in on Cap Hill

Musashi's Sushi and Teriyaki - Wallingford (not fast food but not expensive)

I'm getting tired, I'll add more later

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Top Gun - ID Seattle

It's out of business.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Welcome to Seattle.

Where in Seattle did you move to? I just recently moved to the downtown area from the Eastside. In my opinion it's a very different restaurant scene depending on your location.

For Seattle:

Seafood: Flying Fish on 1st ave.

Sushi: Wasabi Bistro on 2nd.

Mexican: Pesco's on Queen Ave.

Cheap Mex: Mama's on 2nd.

Thai: Wild Ginger

Breakfast: Costal Kitchen up in Capitol Hill

Eastside:

Seafood: 3rd Floor Fish Cafe in Kirkland

Sushi: I love Sushi Bellevue or Ricki Ricki's in Kirkland

Mexican: Cactus in Kirkland

Thai: Thai Ginger in Redmond

Pizza: Coyote Creek

Upscale SeaStar

Thanks so much for all the great recommendations! I have moved to the Ballard neighborhood

and I'm really loving it. I had a tasty little meal at Portalis and really enjoyed Carmelita's and Cafe Flora. I especially appreciate the list of current favorites restaurants.

Thanks a lot!

ps. Anyone have a favorite Ethiopian Restaurant?

ps.  Anyone have a favorite Ethiopian Restaurant?

My favourite Ethiopian restaurant is Queen Sheba at Broadway and John on Capitol Hill. The food is consistently great, with a yummy vegetarian combo and great yebeg tibs (lamb cubes with onion and spices). An added plus is that they're one of the very few restaurants I've found in Seattle which offers guava juice, a standard from my childhood which I miss. Hope you like the restaurant as much as I do!

Ok, I'm not tired anymore,

BTW, thanks for the tip Msramsey, when did it move? I was there not long ago (I think...)

Ok, here are a few more:

Kingfish cafe - they have to have the best catfish/grits and thier strawberry shorcake... well you've just got to try it. (casual dining)

Fremont Classic Pizzaria - Got to try their pizza's! (casual dining)

Beppo's - Not the highest quality food, but one of the best family restaurants. Be sure to request to be seated at either the "Pope" table or the "Kitchen" table. (family dining, casual)

Taste of India - located on Roosevelt just south of the DOL. Best curry (I like them even more than Cedar's). Their Korma and Masala are the best!! My wife disliked Indian food until I took her here. (casual)

Cheap eats: Fish and Chips, you've got to go to Spud's!! Greenlake or West Seattle!

I'll add more as they come to me. Traditional casual attire for a Seattlite:

Sunny and warm: Fleece, jeans, sandals (just kidding) T-shirt, shorts, Teva's, Chaco's or Berks, fleece vest for evening attire.

Cool: Gotta have FLEECE! jeans, Trail running shoes or boots.

Rainy: fleece, Gortex, jeans, hiking boots.

If in doubt, go with fleece, jeans, and tennis shoes.

Edited by dougery (log)

I know for many of you pubs are like churches so to each his/her own, but I'll put down my "churches" of choice.

Murphy's in Wallingford, a must for those stout and Guinness drinkers.

Coopers in lake city way, decent grub and good company.

Pyramid Brew-pub by Safeco Field, Their beer sampler is da-bomb! Great price too!

I have moved to the Ballard neighborhood

....Anyone have a favorite Ethiopian Restaurant?

Some places I don't think have been mentioned:

In/near Ballard

La Carta de Oaxaca

Ray's Cafe

Chinook's

Greek - Panos Kleftiko

Burgers - The Attic (I think that's what it's called - a bar in Madison Park that has lots of soccer sports flags)

Italian - Salvatore

Vietnamese - Than Brothers (pho), Seattle Deli (banh mi)

Mediterranean - Cafe Paloma

For Ethiopian, I really like a new place on Cherry at 26th called Meskel - nice outdoor seating, sometimes live music, great food & very nice staff. And the market across the street (Tana Market) has Ethiopian breakfast.

ps. Anyone have a favorite Ethiopian Restaurant?

Pan Africa down on 1st Ave in the Pike Place Market area.

My favorite place used to be Zobel for awhile, but the last couple of meals I got there haven't been up to their usual standard.

Went to Meskel for the first time recently too. Luuuuuuved the beef tibs and injera, but thought the lentil wots were kind of bland. But this place also has a lot of stuff I haven't seen served anywhere else, so I'll be going back to try the unfamiliar things.

Other favorite places: Addis, across the street from Zobel at 12th and Jefferson, and Mesob on 13th and Jefferson. Fasica down in the Columbia City area. And Tagla on Rainier Ave. S. and S. Genessee for Ethiopian breakfast on weekends. I'm anxiously awaiting their full restaurant completion.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-