• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

i scream

babka

sanity will collapse, shortly, if the body doesn't escape the cubicle, but randomly hiking the sauna that's invaded this city doesn't sound so good either. Give me a reason to go sweat & stink up my day: Who's got good ice cream?

Larry's, and...?

I humbly submit "Cone-e-Island" in the 2000 Penn complex in Foggy Bottom (You know, where Kinkeads is!). They have some good things going on over there. Grab a Fantasy Bar while you're at it.

Watching this thread with interest!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

sanity will collapse, shortly, if the body doesn't escape the cubicle, but randomly hiking the sauna that's invaded this city doesn't sound so good either. Give me a reason to go sweat & stink up my day: Who's got good ice cream?

Larry's, and...?

Don't forget the Shakes at Larry's. Great Ice Cream = Delicious Shake

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Max's on Wisconsin Ave. across from the Glover Park Whole Foods and next to Rockland's. Max makes it all right there in the store and flavors vary daily. I am a big fan of oreo cookie.

Bring it...

This stuff is the shit

Jennifer

with the exception of Larry's & Sweet Licks, I've never heard of _any_ of these--thank you!!

babka, who'd trying to calculate the number of calories burned in a ride up to max's versus the calories to be consumed on-premises...

It would be a very long trek on the bike, but on Georgia Ave, right past Sniders, there is a great ice cream place. I think it is York castle, but don't quote me on that! Of course I can't remember the name, but they have the most amazing flavors. The specialize in tropical fruit flavors, with an emphasis on Jaimacan fruits. Their mango milkshakes are out of this world.

Let me know if you need a ride :biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

What IS Mexican vanilla anyway? I went to Max's tonight and saw it on the menu. I would have asked about it, but my mind was already made up (chocolate chip).

I did the ultimate kid thing today: ate ice cream first and then picked up dinner from Rockland's. Contrary to what Mom would say, I did NOT spoil my appetite.

What IS Mexican vanilla anyway? I went to Max's tonight and saw it on the menu. I would have asked about it, but my mind was already made up (chocolate chip).

I did the ultimate kid thing today: ate ice cream first and then picked up dinner from Rockland's. Contrary to what Mom would say, I did NOT spoil my appetite.

OMG, it is so funny that you are wondering about "Mexican Vanilla" because every time we go in there, my husband and Max get into a debate (Max loves this) about the difference between Mexican Vanilla, Cinnamon ice cream, and "Mozambique". Mr. Sweetfreak claims he only likes Max's Cinnamon. Max claims that all three flavors are "the same" except I know that Mozambique also has nutmeg.

Regardless, this is some damned good ice cream and I am glad that others agree.

One more thing, we once took some friends there from Kentucky. One guy got white chocolate blueberry ice cream and declared it the best ice cream he had ever had. A couple of days later he took some of his friends back and Max remembered him.

He also told him to tell call his friend (my husband) to tell him he had "Cinnamon" ice cream that day...

ok, I have to ask this question about Max's - the only time I tried it, every flavor tasted like butter! It was if the ice cream had been overchurned. It was very noticeable and everybody in my group commented on it. Was that an aberration or does it always taste like that?

Tried Cold Stone Creamery in Cleveland Park last week. Not impressed - too much fuss, and the basic ice cream wasn't that good (this is one of those places where they mix stuff into your ice cream).

Am I the only person that misses Swenson's peanut butter ice cream with fudge ripple through it?

I recommend to anyone who will listen LAZY SUNDAE in Clarendon. Two doors down from Faccia Luna. I have tried some of the others recommened in this thread, and believe Lazy Sundae to be superior to all.