• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly's Original BYOBs

Rich Pawlak

For an article I'm doing, I'm trying to recall some of the better known BYOBs around Philly in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Anyone remember them?

So far I remember the orginal Black Banana, Le Banane Noir, and Of Time And The River, on tiny Leithgow St. , where Marakesh is/was, and the Marigold Dining Room, off-campus Penn, and after that, I'm drawing a huge blank. I know there were more. I know this will bring out the old fogey in us, but cmon, help a brother out!

Thanks!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

For an article I'm doing, I'm trying to recall some of the better known BYOBs around Philly in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Anyone remember them?

So far I remember the orginal Black Banana, Le Banane Noir, and Of Time And The River, on tiny Leithgow St. , where Marakesh is/was, and the Marigold Dining Room, off-campus Penn, and after that, I'm drawing a huge blank. I know there were more. I know this will bring out the old fogey in us, but cmon, help a brother out!

Thanks!

These are what I remember as being around for quite some time:

Dmitri's - the old original location still going strong at 3rd and Catharine.

Ghiottone on North 3rd Street

Overtures on Passyunk just below South.

Nan at 40th & Chestnut.

Alisa Cafe is Upper Darby.

The old Figs near the Art Museum.

Dmitris is one of the granddaddies of BYO in Philly. And the food is just as good now as it was when they opened. The Sugar Snap Peas with Feta cheese are my favorite vegetable side dish in the entire city. Sitting at the bar (counter) facing the tiny little open kitchen I often wonder how they can put out that much food, that consistently for that many people each night. It's awe inspiring to watch.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Dmitris is one of the granddaddies of BYO in Philly. And the food is just as good now as it was when they opened. The Sugar Snap Peas with Feta cheese are my favorite vegetable side dish in the entire city. Sitting at the bar (counter) facing the tiny little open kitchen I often wonder how they can put out that much food, that consistently for that many people each night. It's awe inspiring to watch.

I firmly believe Dimitri's in Queen's Village, along with Bob & Barbara's, is the reason I am married today. What a great way to impress a date. Our ritual is to sit at the bar and watch those guys do their thing. We order a bunch of appetizers and polish off a bottle of wine, mezze style. We always order: Octopus, hummus, a salad, clams. Maybe a whole snapper. If we have more people with us, the garlic shrimp and a lamb entree for the table. I can't even begin to explain how much I love that place.

Our first date was outside at White Dog, our second was at Ghiottone and our third at Dimitri's, followed by Nate and Co. at B&Bs.

Effie's has also been around for a while...they recently added an upstairs that is attractive and great for parties. Took a slew of future in-laws there and they took care of us very nicely.

Jamaican Jerk Hut is great fun on the summer, when you can sit outside. Bring a bottle of rum and they'll make you an awesome mixer. I have dreams about their jerk pork and meat pies...

Zorba's up in Fairmount (where I went for lunch today, which is why it's on my mind) has been around a good long while, hasn't it? I don't think it's been as long as Dmitri's or Marigold, but it's definitely been a while.

Dmitri's story: we were there at the bar one time and the guy next to us asked the cooks why only Asian guys were back there. The cook replied that they had a big white guy one time, but really there just wasn't enough room back there for him, so they had to let him go. I have no idea if that story is true or not, but I do know that I wouldn't fit back there.

As far as the Jerk Hut goes, I love their food, but you need to take about twice as much booze as you think you need when you eat there. If you just take a six pack, by the time you get your food it's gonna be gone. It takes a LONG time to get your food there. Hmmm... I could go for some of that--maybe I'll go by there tomorrow night.

Any geezers remember further back than THIS decade? or last? I'm trying to recall some of the BYOBs during the Restaurant Renaissance of Philadelphia, during the 70s....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Yea, doncha remember that old story gramps used to tell us about

a time when Perrier wasn't loud and proud?

At least some of that legend has to be true.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Any geezers remember further back than THIS decade? or last? I'm trying to recall some of the BYOBs during the Restaurant Renaissance of Philadelphia, during the 70s....

Was Ecco, at 17th & Lombard, a BYOB? And was it around during the 70s? I know it was there in the early to mid 1980s.

There was a charming little cafe located high above the corner of 18th and Sansom that was BYOB right up until, on a rainy and very slow Monday night, a table of 6 did a U Turn at the entrance to the dining room when the one sot in the party learned he couldn't have his damned martini. Shortly thereafter a liquor license expensively appeared.

Also Russells before Ecco was BYOB.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Rich,

Checking the restaurant listings of a September 1978 issue of Philadelphila magazine, I found the following BYOBs:

The Cafe at Bon Appetit, 213 South 17th Street

Thai Royal Barge, 23 & Sansom

Knave of Hearts, 230 South Street (which later acquired a liquor license)

Laxmi, an Indian restaurant at 808 South Street

Jade Palace, 2222 Cottman Avenue

La Paella, 1301 W. Rockland (which later acquired a liquor license)

Bill Marklee's Tower Inn, New Hope

Ingleneuk Tea House, 120 Park Avenue, Swarthmore

It's About Thyme, 109 W. State Street, Media

Peking Restaurant, Granite Run Mall, Media

Argyle Rooster, 213 Kings Highway, Haddonfield

Giovanni's 24 West Ristorante, 24 Kings Highway West, Haddonfield

Le Bistro Restaurant, Bridge Street, Stockton

Margate Fishery-Captain's Galley, 12 South douglas Avenue, Margate

The December 1978 issue includes

Shanghai Garden, 919 Race Street

La Petite Ferme, 245 South Easton Road, Glenside

Hotel du Village, Phillips Mill Road and North River Road, New Hope

The Way We Were at 20th & Lombard does not have a BYOB icon attached to it, but I believe it was a BYOB--it had only 8 tables. Also, Marrakesh is not listed, but I believe it was BYOB when it was new.

Obviously, this isn't a comprehensive list, but it may jog some memories.

Maria Gallagher