• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines with friends

Florida Jim

Aperitif:

2002 Planeta, La Segreta:

Unoaked, fresh and lively, clean with light body and lacy, white fruit flavors. A white, fermented in stainless blend which works very well and is a pleasure to drink without food or with lighter fare.

This is the kind of wine I am looking for these days; ready now, juicy, authentic. Imported by Vias Imports.

With grilled/roast pork, roasted onions, asparagus and olive bread toasts:

1999 Hirtzberger, Gruner Veltliner Honivogl:

Glorious wine. Rich, intense, layered, with strong flavors that went exceptionally with the food. Scents and flavors of pineapple, snap pea, tea, minerals, flowers and pepper; dense and focused with good weight in the mouth and extraordinary concentration. Yet, even as I savored the nose and palate, it was the finish that astonished; endless.

A masterpiece with all the pieces in place and nothing in dissonance. No need to hurry to drink but, if you open one, do decant it. Imported by Vin Divino.

Later, with assorted cheeses and mild cappa cola:

2000 Copain, Pinot Noir Dennison Vnyd.:

Moderate nose of sappy pinot fruit with a bit of spice and cola that leads to a forward, middle weight palate that is relatively simple and, at first seemed a bit blousy. As it opened, it gained focus and acidic bite which brightened the palate and helped integrate the wine suggesting that it is deeper than first taste would indicate. However, there never was much complexity and I don’t think this is built for long term aging (unlike the ’99). Good wine, well made but more in the “California style” than other wines from this house and, for this taster, therefore somewhat disappointing.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com