• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Me Eat in Seattle Please!

Hi there!

I'm a native Chicagoan but I've been in Seattle for a week now because of a family emergency thing, but tomorrow night it looks like my husband and I might get a taste of freedom. I've heard of Rover's, but where else is there to eat? What's the really good stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Raych

I like Cascadia for local products and game. The room is beautiful and the menu changes with the season. I think it's great. Then there's Mistral for an incredable tasting menu. Or you could eat your way through Pikes Market, lots of little and big places there, my favorate is Lowells for the chowder and the view. The Crab Shack below Pikes Market is fun and there's always the original Starbucks there when you need the caffene. If you have a car, Snowqualime (sp) Lodge is beautiful and has a great waterfall to look at.

Captain Hongo

Rovers is great if you want classic French haute cuisine with some Northwest influence. Other recommendations would be:

Union - Contemporary cuisine characterised by freshness and subtlety.

Lark - Small plates with a regional/artisinal focus.

Harvest Vine - Basque tapas of the highest quality.

Nishino - Excellent sushi as well as cooked Japanese food.

Matt's in the Market - Hole in the wall that serves great seafood in a unique setting.

Mistral - As CH says, excellent Continental cuisine primarily using local ingredients.

You can do a search here on any of these places and get LOTS of details and opinions about them. There are many others also, depending on your preferences.

Here's a link to a recent thread where many recommendations were shared.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Hello Raych77! You didn't say what family emergency, but I hope that all went well for you and yours. The others have mentioned excellent places, so I won't add to that, but I will reccommend that you avoid Seattle Center this weekend, as it's Folk Life, and we're swamped by crowds this weekend (I live in the area). If you're looking for a calm, nuturing time, stay away from here!!!

It may be too late for this, but I suggest spending some time at the Market, just wandering around, sampling delicious treats, enjoying the flowers. It's a place I go, well, often, but it's a wonderful pick-me-up, life affirming kind of place if you've been stressed, or are down. :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I can never figure out whatday the posts refer to - but if you are asking about Sunday - I think Cascadia is closed, and I know Matt's is closed all day on Sunday.

Tighe, of course listed the big favorites. Some other options:

Etta's, Dahlia Lounge and Palace Kitchen - all Tom Douglas restaurants, if the name means anything to you,

Troiani - an upscale Italian grill that I think it pretty great and getting better all the time (lunch has really improved - weekdays only),

Local steak houses - in case you need a fix - El Gaucho or Metropolitan Grill,

Campagne or Cafe Campagne - French, in the Market

Le Pichet - very French

Gotta go.

I just visited Seattle for the first time last month, but I didn't have a single bad dining experience, thanks in part to this board! I will second some of tsquare's recommendations and add one or two others that I really enjoyed.

Cafe Campagne

Le Pichet....loved the baked egg dish here.

Dahlia Lounge...coconut cream pie to die for! (The rest of the meal was good, too!)

The Flying Fish

Matt's in the Market

Wild Ginger...Pan Asian....the duck here is just yummy and served with buns that are little pillows of heaven!