• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dennis Foy

robert brown

Rosie, I don't live in NJ, so I don't follow the NJ Forum quite as closely as a Jersey resident. However a couple of months ago some friends who live 30 min. or so from Long Branch (I think) took me and my wife to Dennis Foy's part-time restaurant (open weekends since the end of summer, I believe; but with DF one never knows, apparently). I had a very nice meal as I have always found his cooking to be within himself and quite flavorful. I'm just wondering if he is someone you follow and if other people like him or have discussed him on e-Gullet or elsewhere. Perhaps they would want to give him a whirl.

(Edited by robert brown at 2:34 pm on Nov. 4, 2001)

He had a restaurant in Manasquan or Point Pleasant, I think, within the past year. One of my colleagues visited  early in the summer, and was very pleased. Lots of glass and pastels, and some "beachy" neon out front?

Perhaps a color in the name? I'll ask...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We went to his restaurant Townsquare when it was in Chatham years ago.  He was quite personable and even prepared us a tasting menu of the specials that were available that day.  I still have a copy of the menu which he had hand painted.

(Edited by markstevens at 1:02 pm on Nov. 5, 2001)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Although we never got to Tarragon Tree, we did enjoy Townsquare during its run - and still enjoy its replacement, Restaurant Serenade.

We were truly saddened to learn that EQ closed within the past year - it was one of our favorite restaurants in New York!

Maybe some day we'll be able to get to that place on the shore...

Helena Robinson - Hillsborough, NJ

I haven't seen Dennis in many years.  He was always a talented chef.  Dennis and I were quite friendly at that time.  I'm not sure how many remember Dennis and John's(Foy) original Tarragon Tree which was in Meyersville.  It was truly fantastic!  At that time there were few really superb restaurants like it in New Jersey.  This is very nostalgic!

Dennis Foy is a wonderful chef. One of the best meals I've had in NY (since 1988) was in Mondrian (no more) when he was there. Tom Colicchio succeeded him (for those not on the east coast reading along, TC is chef of Gramercy Tavern and Craft fame).

I agree with Helena Robinson that Foy's cooking at EQ was very good, but not everyone (that includes my husband) I know agrees with me.  I was sad to see it go, tho' he was charging high prices and itwas a small place.

New American has become so commonplace now, but I think Foy manages to achieve a simplicity without losing flavor. Just the right combinations.

I'll be heading for Point Pleasant if he's there.