• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manu

slkinsey

ellenesk, responding to my typo of "menu" in another thread brought the restaurant Manu to my attention. This is a Peruvian restaurant on 2607 Broadway at 98th Street. I've seen it many times, and wondered about it.

Here is New York Magazine's little blurb.

I've always been curious, and ellenesk's inquiry shows that I am not alone. Has anyone been?

--

You folks should check out Rinconcito Peruano some time. 9th Av. just north of 53 St., if I remember correctly.

I don't know Manu, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

I went there in its early days, and was impressed by my depth of ignorance about Peruvian food. Potatoes are central, which makes a lot of sense as the tuber originates in the Andes. I remember several ceviche choices, and the one I had was tasty. The impression I have is that the menu has been evolving to attract local custom (now featuring Pollo a la Brasa-which is Peruvian-and brunch). The sign has been evolving too -- getting bigger and brighter.

I returned a few days ago. One meal, and lunch at that, does not provide a fair assessment of a restaurant. That said, the service was pretty whacked out, albeit charmingly so. I had a avocado dip (which did not differ greatly from guacamole although it was served with crisp fried plantains), followed by a 'black sausage.' Which I imagined was going to be along the lines of black pudding or boudin noir, or any of the blood sausage family (great name for a slasher movie), and it was except for being chewy. Sinewy, really. I suspected the addition of tripe or other innards. Tasted good though.

I got the impression that many of the people involved in the restaurant were new to the business, but I could be wrong.

Edited by neep (log)