• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Rebel Rose / Dover Canyon - Life in a vineyard

Dover Canyon, my life has been even more hectic than usual this past week, so I haven't had time to post, but I just wanted to thank you for a terrific blog!

I think anyone who has posted in the blogs is fair game to be tagged, no? (Not me, though -- I'm a "dunnit"!)

Cheers,

Squeat

Pan and Squeat, thank you so much! I have really enjoyed doing this. And I knew the risks, even though I only posted once in Judith's blog!

However, the two refusals were due to impending travel, so I'll urge the next blogger to put up a friendly warning at the beginning of the blog. :blink:

And Soba, thank you for the list of previous bloggers. I'll pass that on as well.

In the meantime, Sunday evening approaches and Dan is making homemade pizza, so I'll continue blogging until the newbie signs in.

And now, I am in search of fresh blahd. :evil laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Well, Mary, I responded to you already by PM, but I'll be happy to accept the nomination here publicly as well!

I have travel plans Wednesday night, but I figure a lot of people do too, so I may as well take one for the team.

I'll try to pack a bunch into the next few days! I will begin later this evening.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

This is going to be great. Not to give too much away, but Seth is going to "Mom's house" for the holiday weekend. I don't know about you, but as much as I love my mother, it's always awkward to express yourself through food on someone else's turf--ESPECIALLY Mom's! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Let's all root for him! Watch for his first posts very soon.

In the meantime, Dan has finally gotten into the spirit of my schmog . . . wog . . .clog? So I'll post through his pizza, dear thing, and then check in with Seth. See you there!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Mary

I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog, and wish I could have been able, if nominated, to take the reins.

However, with my schedule this week at the port the pictures would have been constant repeats of me eating sandwiches on the tailgate of my truck (fending off the K9) while longshoremen worked around me.

Seth, looking forward to Mom's House.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

. . . constant repeats of me eating sandwiches on the tailgate of my truck (fending off the K9) while longshoremen worked around me.

I totally understand. Given the number of dog avatars around here I think one day soon we should have a dog blog! :wink:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Great idea Mary....maybe I'll tote my camera around this week and do "A day in the life of a Bombdog"....although what she eats might end up on the thread about gross stuff pets eat.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Our Sunday night pizza project . . . first Dan makes a saute of caramelized onions (duh duh duh) with some syrah port wine added at the end. It sautes down into a nice reddish-brown color.

i7355.jpg

He purees an 8 oz. can of crushed tomatoes with some herbs and adds it to the base. He simmers it until it's thick and dark, about 15 minutes.

i7354.jpg

Dough is prepared in the bread machine and spread over an iron pizza pan.

i7352.jpg

Dan likes a "stuffed crust," so he pulls a flap of the pizza hem out and over, tucking plenty of cheese into the crimped hem. We add thick slices of salami, and a few asparagus tips from my farmers' market trek.

i7353.jpg

Finished pizza . . .

i7350.jpg

Is it done yet?

i7351.jpg

See you over at Seth's blog!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Cute picture of the dog with the pizza! I trust he didn't take a bit out of it shortly thereafter...

Great blog, Mary!

Michael aka "Pan"

Hello Mary!! Just checking in, that pizza looks phenomenal....if you have a bad year with the grapes looks like you can open a pizzaria!!

What a wonderful, fun, educational, entertaining and endearing blog!

Many thanks and please promise to keep us all posted an doings at the winery.

Regards!!!

I love that photo of Rebel examining dinner. What a cutie. Did he get a slice?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs