• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rebecca's in Edgewater

Rail Paul

Dee and I had dinner there Sunday night.

No reservations, just walked in. They're now open on Sundays from 430.

Pleasantly greeted, at 5pm, the place was empty. Seated, bread butter, menus immediately. Sea bass in green chile was one special.

I had the black bean soup, very light, almost a lemony undercurrent. Bean were broken but not shredded, lots of feel to them. Dee had the rolled chicken croquettes, delightfully spiced.

For entrees, I had the cuban roast pork with dirty rice. Good, but I've had better. The center was dry, the cracklings were good. I prefer the pork with a moist center, and a more liquid base (garlic sauce or basil) would have set off the exterior spices. Dee had the shrimp and scallops special, which was fabulous. Served on a huge pool of chile, garlic, basil, and cilantro, the fragrant mix wafted thru  6 huge shrimp and 5 good sized scallops. This may have been one of the best shrimp and scallop preparations I've ever had. Candied yams on the side were good.

Coffee was slightly burned, and replaced instantly. Service was friendly, but not rushed. We were enjoying the view and the people and were in no hurry to leave. Damage for the whole shebang was ๠.

Rebecca's doesn't recite prices, so I was surprised to see the scallop dish was อ, above the prices of many menu items.

Dining there was spur of the moment. We had tickets for Proof on Saturday and a pair of tickets for Thou Shalt Not appeared on Friday evening for Sunday's performance. I wanted to see the new digital remaster of An American in Paris, so staying in the city was a good way to meet all objectives.

We called around for room prices, and nabbed the Wyndham for 贗. it's down the street from the Paris theater where the movie played. Double feature with Band Wagon (Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse) for ű.50.

Drinks on the rooftop at the peninsula and the evening was complete. Had a pizza at Federico's across from Palm and Thalia after the saturday show and before the movie. Good pizza, thin crust...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Interesting about the coffee at Rebecca's. This was one of the few NJ restaurants where I thought the coffee was drinkable. They serve Cuban coffee. I also think that more restaurants are opening up on Sun. because business during the week is slow.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 4 weeks later...

Dinner last night was at Rebecca's, 236 Old River Road, Edgewater, a lovely BYO serving Cuban/Caribbean cuisine. We stared with chorizo quesadilla containing spicy sausage, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, goat cheese and jalapenos served with a pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and cilantro) and avocado salsa. I could have eaten the whole thing myself. Then we had black bean soup and pumpkin soup both of which could have been more assertive. A few twists of pepper helped but neither soup had any "oomph." The roast pork came with mojo an aromatic dipping sauce made with garlic, lemon, oil and white wine that will transport you to garlic heaven. The other entrees were a spicy special of red snapper; a special of sea bass with mango; and salmon with a grapefruit butter sauce. All were excellent and worth ordering. If you go here don't miss the side of lumpy coconut mashed yams with slivers of unsweetened coconut served as if they were a scoop of orange sherbet. White rice or dirty rice were other options.

We always ask for the back room here that is separated from the main dining room by heavy velvet curtains. It is a bit quieter than the main room but this restaurant is still noisy from the Cuban music. The ambiance is lively with dramatic dried flower arrangements, wood floors and high ceilings.

Specials were recited without the prices and a note on the menu and when you are brought the bill asks that you leave a cash tip rather than putting it on your credit card. I like that a carafe of water, warm crusty bread and butter are placed on the table when you are seated.

For dessert we had a fabulous flan topped with coconut and a flourless chocolate cake and of course Cuban coffee. The bill was ไ per person. The restaurant is now open on Sunday. Call 201-943-8808 for a reservation.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie. I go this restaurant quite often and I am very happy that you and your party enjoyed the food. Would you tell us though, what wines did you drink with dishes that ran from a bit on the sweet and acidic side (grapefruit) to the fairly spicey red snapper?  My personal favorite, along with the jerk chicken. I usually bring a Zin or a Gewurtz or both.

Hank

I like red wine with everything so matching is not my forte. But we brought a George Duboeuf Beaujolis Nouveau  2001 because I wanted to taste it and see if I should buy some more for Thurs. Also, we had a Cerasuolo Di Vittoria, a dry red wine from Italy. And where did you go last night?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We went to Andiamo's in Haworth.  My husband had a veal chop that was split then pounded flat and stuffed with prosuitto and mushrooms.  Excellent!  

I had chicken breasts, cut french style with a honey citrus glaze served over wilted greens and orange slices.  It was extremely good.  

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

We found the spicing to be assertive but not forceful, which may have been because we discussed with the servers "how hot is hot." I suspect many restaurants underspice when they're not sure of the tolerance, just like many Chinese restaurants have different spice levels for natives and non-natives.

The request for a cash tip is new since my visit there three weeks ago. Wonda' what they're up to with that?

Our servers each mentioned they had current serving gigs elsewhere, but this was an excellent place to work.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I read John Foy's comments on Rebecca's in the Record. Generously put, he didn't care for the food.

It sounds like his principal objections were unassertive spicing, and the cash tip request. Take away those elements and he had a pretty good set of meals. He didn't like the absence of allspice in the jerk chicken, and felt the horseradish overcame the pork in the croquetas.

Maybe it's churlish, but I think there's an obligation for "out of the mainstream" restaurants to make a special effort to understand a customer's expectations. With a steak house, you ask for a medium rare prime rib you know EXACTLY what you'll get. I don't think that assumption carries over to Cuban, Ethiopian, Afghan or many other styles.

With a Spanish - Cuban speaker at Rebecca's, the house knows this person's frame of reference. With me, or John Foy, white Anglo guys who won't see 40 again, it's potluck for the house. I think the house needs to make the effort to understand that expectation. Rebecca's doesn't do that, and I had to discuss the spicing with them to get a stronger mix than the average bozo might get.

That said, it probably won't be any easier to get a table there next week or next month...

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking maybe they didn't want the phone to be ringing in the restaurant so had the machine set to answer very quickly. I just called there and it rang six times before the voice mail answered, so out goes that theory. It is a true voice mail system though, not just an answering machine (press 1 for reservation, 2 for directions, etc.). I suppose they do it just so they can deal with reservations when they have time to sit with the book, not when they are in the middle of the lunch rush or something.

Quote: from RPerlow on 9:37 am on Dec. 5, 2001

I was thinking maybe they didn't want the phone to be ringing in the restaurant so had the machine set to answer very quickly. I just called there and it rang six times before the voice mail answered, so out goes that theory.

or they turn the ringer off.  and your theory is again in the running. ;)

• 1 month later...

We went back to Rebecca's last night with 4 friends who had never been there. We were all extremely happy with the food and promised ourselves that we would be going back real soon. It had been a while for my wife and I. We all ordered fish for our main courses and they could not have been better prepared and presented.

My roasted mussels for app. were as good as ever.The flavor of the caramel flan for dessert still lingers. Absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately my wife did not order any dessert but she did manage to eat half of mine. Oh well. I still love her. Next time, order your own.

Rebecca did call me on the side and asked me if I were still friendly with John Foy. It seems that he reviewed her restaurant some time in November for the Record and gave her a most unfavorable review, even calling some of her dishes commercial. As a former chef he should have known better than to say that. Rediculous to say the least. Though marginally friendly with John at one time I have not seen nor spoken to him in 3/4 years. I would love to know what his problem is with Rebecca. I nor my friends and family have ever had a bad meal there nor any complaints. Thankfully it does not seem that his review hurt the restaurant. When we arrived at 7:00 it was half full and by the time we left at 9:00 people were waiting for tables. Not bad for a Thursday night.I would imagine that either foodies do not read the Record food reviews or they do not believe what they read. This is just another case of an amateur reviewer (a good chef does not necessarily make a good critic)who could have easily destroyed a very good restaurant. Fortunately, not this time.

Hank

Based on my several visits to Rebecca's, it's definitely a first class place. I don't think we're known there, and didn't receive any special treatment, as far as I could tell.

For those who didn't see the original review:

http://www.bergen.com/dineout/dineout22001123012.htm

rancho gordo

These are two postings that I wrote last November and in '99 about Rebecca's. There is another thread about Rebecca's on this board. Scroll down to a 12/5 posting.

Dinner last night was at Rebecca's, 236 Old River Road, Edgewater, a lovely BYO serving Cuban/Caribbean cuisine. We stared with chorizo quesadilla containing spicy sausage, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, goat cheese and jalapenos served with a pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and cilantro) and avocado salsa. I could have eaten the whole thing myself. Then we had black bean soup and pumpkin soup both of which could have been more assertive. A few twists of pepper helped but neither soup had any "oomph." The roast pork came with mojo an aromatic dipping sauce made with garlic, lemon, oil and white wine that will transport you to garlic heaven. The other entrees were a spicy special of red snapper; a special of sea bass with mango; and salmon with a grapefruit butter sauce. All were excellent and worth ordering. If you go here don't miss the side of lumpy coconut mashed yams with slivers of unsweetened coconut served as if they were a scoop of orange sherbet. White rice or dirty rice were other options.

We always ask for the back room here that is separated from the main dining room by heavy velvet curtains. It is a bit quieter than the main room but this restaurant is still noisy from the Cuban music. The ambiance is lively with dramatic dried flower arrangements, wood floors and high ceilings.

Specials were recited without the prices and a note on the menu and when you are brought the bill asks that you leave a cash tip rather than putting it on your credit card. I like that a carafe of water, warm crusty bread and butter are placed on the table when you are seated.

For dessert we had a fabulous flan topped with coconut and a flourless chocolate cake and of course Cuban coffee. The bill was ไ per person. The restaurant is now open on Sunday. Call 201-943-8808 for a reservation.

11/18/01

Rebecca's    

236 Old River Road

Edgewater,  NJ 07020

201-943-8808 or 201-313-3537

Yuca fingers, chorizo with chick peas, shrimp with mojo and fried plantains are some of the delicious Cuban/Caribbean foods that you will enjoy at Rebecca's. This BYO non-smoking restaurant, located in an area of Hudson County that is known as the second largest Cuban settlement in the United States, serves vibrant upscale dishes at very reasonable prices.

Rebecca, the hostess and wife of chef Glenn Chernalis, graciously greeted us in this renovated home facing the Hudson River. Cuban music, dramatic dried flower arrangements, wood floors and high ceilings with recessed lights all added to the lively ambiance.

Weather permitting, a delightful area to dine was a courtyard with a bubbling fountain in the rear of the restaurant. Otherwise, we prefer a small lovely private side room (ten seats), separated from the main dining room by heavy velvet curtains. It was an ideal spot for a small private party or a romantic rendezvous.

The staff was well informed about the ingredients used in the dishes and willingly answered all of our questions. Although the specials were written out on a blackboard at the entrance of the restaurant, the waiter recited them without their prices. A carafe of water and warm crusty bread and butter were placed on our wood table set with a votive candle and paper napkins. I would have preferred cloth napkins because some of the appetizers were finger food.

APPETIZERS:  We enjoyed a special of chorizo quesadilla (Ű.95) containing spicy sausage, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, goat cheese and jalapenos served with a pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and cilantro) and avocado salsa. The colorful accompaniments for dipping were so good that I finished them with my fork. Chorizo also made an appearance in a refreshingly different salad containing warm marinated chick peas and sausage sprinkled throughout mixed greens (Ů.95). Roasted red peppers and tomatoes added depth to this light starter that was ample enough for two to share. If you prefer not to eat sausage then try the shrimp quesadilla (Ű.25), yuca fingers (Ů.25) or the perfectly cooked grilled marinated shrimp with tomato cilantro salsa (บ.25) all of which were outstanding. Also, thick smoky black bean soup (ū.25) with a hint of lemon is not to be missed. I was disappointed with the bland dry jerk chicken (ů.50) on skewers with sweet potato, onion and red pepper with a Russian dressing. Some of the other choices were a house salad with feta cheese, olives, cucumbers, celery, tomato and greens dressed in a balsamic vinaigrette or a classic Caesar (ŭ.50).

ENTREES:  My favorite entree was Ropa Vieja which literally means "old clothes" (ผ.95). The rendition made at Rebecca's, which I would love to have their recipe for, contained shredded beef (flank steak) cooked in a red wine tomato sauce with red and green peppers, olives and onions. Our waitress, Maria recommended that we should have this with rice as it would soak up all the juices. She was right. This ribsticking dish was wonderful. Double cut grilled pork chops served with tomato corn salsa (ภ.95) were very good but the special of pork chops with a sweet guava glaze was better (ร.50). One suggestion, please provide a steak knife the next time we order this meat.

Mojo an aromatic dipping sauce made with garlic, lemon, oil and white wine put me in garlic heaven. This flavorful dressing accompanied six tremendous juicy shrimp (ร.50) in the Camarones Con Mojo and the luscious fork tender Cuban Roast Pork (พ).

Entrees were served with a choice of sides and all of our dinners had fried plantains which we adored. Don't bypass the fabulous lumpy coconut mashed yams with slivers of unsweetened coconut served as if they were a scoop of orange sherbet. White rice was available but why bother when you can have tasty protein rich dirty rice that combines rice with black beans.

DESSERTS: The marvelous bread pudding (ŭ.95) with walnuts and yellow raisins exploded in our mouths from the ample rum in the accompanying rum butter sauce. I'm not a big aficionado of rum but I would order this dessert in a flash. Flan (Ŭ.95) made with condensed milk sat in a pool of tasty caramel sauce and was creamier than the Spanish version. Rice pudding and sorbets were also available.

Cuban coffee (Ū.25) was served. Need I say more? It was strong and I savored every sip. Cafe au leche and cappuccino were also available. With tax and tip our dinners have averaged ี per person. There is a ผ.95 minimum on Friday and Saturday and an 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more.

Food Bytes®

8/2/99

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

For what it is worth I have never been asked to leave a cash tip no matter the size of my party. When I asked Rebecca about this she told me that it was only a suggestion to the diners but certainly not ever meant to be enforced. It is still the call of the people paying their bill. Personally, I don't care for the "suggestion" but that would never keep me from going back to this wonderful restaurant. To me the food and service is of utmost importance and yes, cleanliness in answer to another post about eating in dirty restaurtants. "If it doesn't shine I won't dine."

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
...This BYO non-smoking restaurant, located in an area of Hudson County that is known as the second largest Cuban settlement in the United States, serves vibrant upscale dishes at very reasonable prices.

...We enjoyed a special of chorizo quesadilla (8.95) containing spicy sausage, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, goat cheese and jalapenos served with a pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and cilantro) and avocado salsa.

...Also, thick smoky black bean soup (3.25) with a hint of lemon is not to be missed.

...My favorite entree was Ropa Vieja which literally means "old clothes" (12.95). The rendition made at Rebecca's, which I would love to have their recipe for, contained shredded beef (flank steak) cooked in a red wine tomato sauce with red and green peppers, olives and onions.

...Food Bytes® 8/2/99

There were three seperate threads about Rebecca's, but I chose to post in this one primarily because of my slight disagreement with Rosie about the "very reasonable prices". Of course, the prices Rosie listed above were from three years ago so I should update them a bit:

The meal tonight:

Sodas - 3 dollars each

Iced teas - 4 dollars each

Chorizo quesadilla - 10 dollars

Carribean conch chowder - 12 dollars each

Ropa Vieja - 18 dollars

Coconut shrimp - 25 dollars

Red snapper filet (small size) - 29 dollars

Personally, I find this to be somewhat overpriced. Don't get me wrong, the food was very good... the only complaints being that the iced teas were VERY weak in flavor and the chowder (which was the soup of the day) was lackluster as well. Overall I agree with everything Rosie and others have said about the quality of the food and the service, but you're certainly paying more for those aspects. Cut most of these prices down by 20% and I'd say it would be very reasonable. Still I'm sure I'll return to Rebecca's in the future, though not as often as I might have otherwise.

Just my two cents... but I'm obviously a cheapskate, so you know how much I value a couple of pennies.

P.S. - Standouts that I didn't see mentioned in Rosie's posts were the avocado and palm hearts salad (came as a side with the snapper) as well as the plantains which came with the Ropa Vieja. Both were superbly done.

Do they still ask you to pay the tip in cash?

(tech. note: for some reason this topic didn't go to the top with the last two replies)

Yes, they included a small note with the bill requesting the tip to be left in cash. I generally make it a point to leave a cash tip anyway and I was expecting the request after reading about it here.

Oh, by the way... They use cloth napkins now. :smile:

• 3 months later...

Everything was fine and dandy, the tilapia that two of us had was just right and others raved about the shrimp. A little pricey at $28 for the entrees though, and my age old gripe of the server reciting the specials (instead of having a printout) without the prices. The service was excellent as was the atmosphere, but one gripe. About 5 minutes or so after finishing we were told (very nicely and apologetically) by our server there was another party waiting for our table. We were not asked to leave. However, we felt uneasy and left 5 minutes later. I forget the standard time that's normally alloted for a 4 top, but I think it's generally 2 hours. We arrived on time, waited 5 minutes to be seated and were there only about 90 minutes. Even if we were there longer, I felt such a remark to be completely inappropriate. Any thoughts?

To top things off, the wine kind of muddled the abacus in my brain (or maybe I was subconsciously trying to get even) and I left a horrible tip, like about 8%. I didn't realize it until this morning and felt horrible. So I called up today to make amends. Rebecca wasn't there -- I was also gonna mention the abrupt end to our dinner -- and I ended up talking to the server and apologized profusely and offered her my credit card to make up for the crummy tip. She refused despite my insistence and said I could make it up the next time. I didn't feel it appropriate to discuss their booking procedures with her so I let it drop. Anyhoo, I don't know when I'm gonna get back there and was wondering if sending a check might be appropriate. Btw, it's a pooled house.

Glenn -

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Rebecca's has been a good memory (for food and service) for us with prob 6 visits in two years.

They do horendously overbook at times, based on my experience. Showing up on time (Sat, early evening) may get you seated instantly, or cool your heels for an hour. That's a serious knock, and one the managers can resolve.

Ninety minutes is way too short for four diners, especially if there was a normal time betwen courses. I think you should consider giving Rebecca a call during the week and discuss your unhappiness. It's a good place, and I think I'd be willing to chalk this up to an enthusiastic server trying not to discomfort the waiting party.

Of course, Rebecca's has asked me for tips in cash, even on credit card bills. That's a caution flag.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but would let Rebecca or Mama know your professional concern, as a matter of professional courtesy. If the staff is out of line, they can fix it. If the staff is following orders, that's worth knowing.

Paul

rancho gordo

Rosie, we weren't exactly asked to leave though that was the implication. And Paul, our early departure didn't completely mar the excellent service and good food. I didn't mention anything to Rebecca at the time because I was (1) pretty wasted and (2) I we were with new friends and I didn't wanna appear the troublemaker that I am. However, the more I think about it, I'm inclined to send a check to make up for my tip and write a note about their booking policy. I would be very surprised if the server made the comment to us without being directed to.

And what's the big deal about the cash tips?? They included a note in the guest check to kindly leave a cash tip if paying by credit card. I don't think it's quite fitting an upscale establishment. I understand the reason -- immediate payout for the service staff and saving the credit card discount -- but it seems so cheesy.