• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chutneys

Monica

Do tell us of your fav chutneys and how you use them

Hmm.. I love papaya chutney, pineapple chutney... my mom makes these really well. I also like the Maharastrian dry garlic chutney and ofcourse the standard tamarind chutney.

The favorite in our house is the cilantro chutney... Saute some onions, add your favorite fillet of white fish, cook, add tablespoons of chutney to it.. cover and simmer for a few minutes.. serve with white rice.... leftover chutney recipe ala monica

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Sesame chutney and Jawas chutney are both dry chutneys and made in similar manner.

Roasted sesame/Jawas 1/2 cup

Roasted dried red chillies (the long variety) 10-12 for milder version 20 to 25 for

the spicier version.

1 tsp roasted cumin

Salt

Ground the chillies and cumin first in the mortar then add the sesame and ground them till they just break. The chutney stays fresh for a month or so.

These chutneys taste best if made in a traditional mortar by pounding rather than the mixer, needless to say it invloves some effort and lot of discomfort due to red chillies. The mixer breaks the seeds and changes taste.

i add tamarind to mine and also green chilies instead of red. Do you toast your sesame seeds for this or not?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice