• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PJ Ryans

Stone

If you're ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in Jersey City . . . .

I was banished to Jersey City for three weeks to review documents in an archive. The one bright spot was PJ Ryan's bar and grill at the corner of 2nd and Marin. Some of the best bar food I've had.

Almost everything here is great. Big juicy burgers. One of the best shephard's pies i've had (although a tad heavy on the mashed potatoes). Truly superb chicken pot pie -- creamy gravy packed with large chunks of white meat chicken, peas and carrots, topped with a large puff pastry crust. Terrific chicken sandwich. Tasty meatloaf smothered in a flavorful mushroom gravy. Long, crispy chicken strips. Jumbo coconut shrimp. Wonderfully thick homemade chilli topped with melted cheese and onion. Great fries.

The only disappointment was the onion rings which were "tempura" style and a tad greasy. And the calimari could have used more spice -- although it was very well prepared.

Terrific staff.

Honestly, it could be the next Hoboken. The riverside area is pretty sterile, but I see a lot of potential in renovating all the old warehouses. A friend of mine sold his place on 11th and 4th Ave and moved out to Jersey City. He loves it. The commute on the PATH is easy. Not sure how much dining there is other than PJ Ryans. (My other meals out there were Pizzaria Unos (blech) and Bertucis.

Ah, Stone...I see we're going to have to educate you on the many great eating establishments that northern NJ has to offer!!! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

there are actually a couple of good spots in that area. i've been spending a lot of time down there recently. the a strong artist community, which is usually the first step in the process of revitalizing an area. the commute is great. the brownstones are beautiful. the warehouses are cool. now if we could just get people to move there.

poke around the board for jersey city recs and pass them on to your friend. he'll think you're cooler than he already does.

A little off topic, but Rascals (the comedy club) just opened right next to PJ's. As for PJ's, the bar food and the shepphard's pie are great. But don't be a hero and order anything fancy.

Kitchen Cafe by Exchange Place (Sussex & Greene) is great for dinner, but i don't believe they serve booze. Lampost is a bit further back and pretty good pub-grub.

JC is all what you make of it... there's some pretty good resteraunts/bars that are certainly worth supporting.