• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knishes

Wilfrid

My search engine reveals no discussion of this weighty topic on the New York board.  I raise it because, after years of walking by the Yonah Schimmel knishery on Houston (founded 1910), and promising myself to go in, I finally did on Sunday afternoon.  A couple of special knishes were sampled - cheddar and potato, and pepper and onion.  We found them palatable, with the cheedar and potato getting the decisive vote.  They were also quite light and fluffy by what I think are knish standards.

I have occasionally eaten knishes in the past from unpromising sources, and found them bland and leaden.  I have no historic experience with these delicacies - if they were available in Jewish eateries where I grew up, I don't remember them (I remember the beigels, lox, latkes, etc, but no knishes).

So: was Yonah Schimmel the place to go?  Or am I missing much better knishes elsewhere?

I believe you have now sampled the best knishes in Manhattan and the second best in New York City. My preference is for Mrs. Stahl's Knishes in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn (1001 Brighton Beach Avenue). They are not necessarily lighter, but they are in my opinion more flavorful and aromatic, with a better crust.

I do believe this came up on the Saveur Web site thread, and we linked to a "Fare" piece on Yonah Schimmel's from there. Maybe.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Wilfrid-Among the "great" knishes at Mrs. Stahls is a cabbage knish. It is a one of a kind thing that I've only seen there. And I can vouch for Mrs. Stahls having had a houseguest last summer who brought a large box of knishes as a gift. All flavors till tops with Cherry Cheese a long tterm SP favorite. And comparing it to Yonah Shimmel is a no contest. Stahl's is 10 times better. You know if you actually go out to Brighton to check it out, first of all save lots of time to walk around out there as it will be like walking aorund in Russia. But also, just two subway stops closer to the city is the famous Sahara, best Turkish I know of in town.

I've never been. I'm out in Queens at least a couple of times a month, though, so I'll try to check it out.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I used to live right down the block from Knish Nosh. They're okay but nowhere as good as Mrs. Stahl's. I think they make a liver knish though. Can't remember for sure. Stick with Mr's Stahls. They're the real deal. But if you go out to Knish Nosh, one block west there used to be a pretty good Hungarian bakery (Rego Park was where the Hungarians settled after the Russians invaded in 1956) that made a mean cherry strudel. Many Hungarians came to the U.S. with money and they could afford to live in the fancy Jewish neighborhoods like Rego Park and Forest Hills. As an aside, Knish Nosh had a Manhattan branch for many years on 4th Avenue between 13th & 14th Street. It was there as recently as 10 years ago. Maybe less.

I wasn't overwhelmed the last time I went to Yonah Schimmel's, but that was a bit over 3 years ago. I used to like the place very much when I was a kid, and ate the bageles (they're _not_ bagels, but Mr. Schimmel's creation: oversized, sort of oval-shaped blintzes). I remember that the last time I was there, I had a potato knish that was tasty if a bit dry and a sweet potato knish (a friend got it) that was weird because it was a combination of potato and sweet potato.

I like the blintzes at Teresa's, even though they're a bit oily, but I can't recommend any great knishes.

Perhaps Yonah Schimmel's merits another trip or takeout.

Michael aka "Pan"

The March 2002 SAVEUR has an article on Yonah Schimmel Knishery. And a recipe based on "interviews" with the staff.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You know if you actually go out to Brighton to check it out, first of all save lots of time to walk around out there as it will be like walking aorund in Russia. But also, just two subway stops closer to the city is the famous Sahara, best Turkish I know of in town.

Great tip, Steve.  We did spend a day last summer, first walking around Brighton Beach - where I ate some leaden but doubtless authentic Russian street food - then strolling down (or arguably up) the boardwalk to Coney Island.  We'll do it again this year, and take in at least Mrs Stahl's.

I had not had a knish I found enjoyable before Yonah Schimmel's, so it's nice to know there's also a step up from there.

As an aside, Knish Nosh had a Manhattan branch for many years on 4th Avenue between 13th & 14th Street. It was there as recently as 10 years ago. Maybe less.

There was a "Knish Knosh" type place but I'm not sure if it was a branch of the Queens store.  What I do remember about that block though was that the last Nedicks was there about 20 years ago.

• 3 years later...
I believe you have now sampled the best knishes in Manhattan and the second best in New York City. My preference is for Mrs. Stahl's Knishes in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn (1001 Brighton Beach Avenue). They are not necessarily lighter, but they are in my opinion more flavorful and aromatic, with a better crust.

I just read that Mrs. Stahl's has closed down. Can anyone confirm that this is true? I was contemplating a trip but don't want to venture to furthest Coney Island if this place is not around.

This was my source:

http://www.realeats.com/restaurant/1240

First the knish place, then Second Avenue Deli. What next?

Matthew

• 1 year later...

I've had a few knishes before but I've never really thought about the best way to serve them. The normal way of eating these is to consume them just as they are sold, correct? No gravies, no condiments?

I'm thinking it will go very well with an egg which I have and some corned beef which unfortunately is in the freezer. I'm going to eat it for breakfast with an egg and some smoked fish. When do you eat your knishes and what do you like to eat with them?

Haven't been able to shlep down to Brooklyn lately, but Yonah Schimmel's is my fav by far. Just a few days ago, I had a broccoli knish and sweet potato knish. The sweet potato knish had a bit of cinnamon sprinkled on top, which made it soooo tasty.

I usually put mustard on knishes, but those would be the street vendor variety. No mustard was needed for these little babies.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany