• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to take Mom & Dad when they come to the city

DC is one of the best cities in the US for Ethiopian food, so if your fam is adventerous, I would try one of the many excellent Ethiopian restaurants in Adams Morgan. If you've never had Ethiopian food, Meskerem is a good and popular choice. My personal favorite is Dukem, which is at the corner of 11th and U NW. But the waitresses often don't speak much English there, so if you're not familiar with the cuisine, it's probably not the best place to get your toes wet.

In terms of quintessential DC, how about Old Ebbitt Grill? It's right near the White House so that adds some pizzaz.

And there's always Ben's Chili Bowl. But that would be more for the people-watching than the food (although the chili dogs and chili cheese fries are good in a greasy kind of way). Prime-time would be about 2 am on a Friday or Saturday night.

morda

My mom's visiting next weekend and I'm taking her to Palena for the bar menu. The food is delicious and there are probably dishes on the menu that your teenage brother would like (roast chicken, hamburger, hot dog).

DC is one of the best cities in the US for Ethiopian food, so if your fam is adventerous, I would try one of the many excellent Ethiopian restaurants in Adams Morgan. If you've never had Ethiopian food, Meskerem is a good and popular choice. And there's always Ben's Chili Bowl. But that would be more for the people-watching than the food (although the chili dogs and chili cheese fries are good in a greasy kind of way). Prime-time would be about 2 am on a Friday or Saturday night.

morda

This has to be a joke! Okay, now that this is established I feel better. :smile:

Zola's -- Do the Spy Museum for the kid and then the restaurant for your M & D. Make reservations if you decide to go!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

DC is one of the best cities in the US for Ethiopian food, so if your fam is adventerous, I would try one of the many excellent Ethiopian restaurants in Adams Morgan. If you've never had Ethiopian food, Meskerem is a good and popular choice. And there's always Ben's Chili Bowl. But that would be more for the people-watching than the food (although the chili dogs and chili cheese fries are good in a greasy kind of way). Prime-time would be about 2 am on a Friday or Saturday night.

morda

This has to be a joke! Okay, now that this is established I feel better. :smile:

Hey -- those are great ideas! Though I prefer Dukem to Meskerem. Ben's at 2AM is a complete freak show and the kid would love it.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

morda

Hey -- those are great ideas! Though I prefer Dukem to Meskerem. Ben's at 2AM is a complete freak show and the kid would love it.

I wouldn't take my parents for Ethiopian OR to Ben's although I personally like both.

That's just me. :hmmm:

morda

Well, I guess you could call my suggestion of Ben's at 2 am a joke. But in all seriousness, going to Ben's is an experience unique to DC. In fact, Ben's has been written up in both Gourmet magazine and in John T. Edge's book, Southern Belly. So it's a pretty famous place.

As for the suggestion of Ethiopian food, well, maybe some people's parents are more adventurous than others. To be fair, I probably wouldn't take my parents out for Ethiopian either. But I think they would love the scene at Ben's. And you can't argue that both places definitely fall in the "moderately-priced" (or less) category :smile:

Surprisingly, no one contested my suggestion of Old Ebbitt Grill.

morda