• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The EVIL eye

Okay -- so my friend called last night. She wanted to make sure that I had hung a lemon along with some dried chilies at the entrance of our house. "It will keep the house safe from the evil eye"... hmmmm!

My hubby's grandmother, when she visits, does something similar as well. She willhold dried red chilies in her hand and then wave it over our son's head to ward of evil.....

I have wondered what the significance of those foods is...

Do you have tales likes these? Do you know where these traditions stem from?

What about other cultures? Do you have something similar? (Garlic keeps vampires away??)

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

If you spill salt then you must pick some up and toss it over your LEFT shoulder lest you give the Devil a doorway to your soul. (I don't believe in the Devil and I'm skeptical about my soul but I ALWAYS DO THIS.)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I remember some older women in my village do the same as your husband’s grandmother. They will hold seven (I don’t know the significance of seven) dried red chilies and a teaspoon of mustard seeds in their hands and then wave it over children’s heads seven times to ward off evil eyes. They always did this just before sunset. Then they would throw it all into a wood burning stove. They say that when the mustard seeds splutter, instead of their nutty aroma, they will produce a foul smell - the smell of burning evil eyes.

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

I remember some older women in my village do the same as your husband’s grandmother. They will hold seven (I don’t know the significance of seven) dried red chilies and a teaspoon of mustard seeds in their hands and then wave it over children’s heads seven times to ward off evil eyes. They always did this just before sunset. Then they would throw it all into a wood burning stove. They say that when the mustard seeds splutter, instead of their nutty aroma, they will produce a foul smell - the smell of burning evil eyes.

Grandma would add a tiny piece of alum to the mixture, which would explode when in the fire and surely touch the evil eye.

I have always always tossed salt over my left shoulder, not only when I spill it, but even when I have a little extra. Never knowing all of the missed possibilites, which I have learned from Anna N. It has kept me pure in any case.

With regards to garlic, vampires, peppers and the evil eye, I understand and yet I do not. There must have been an instinctive reason why I was drying the peppers in the kitchen.

If you spill salt then you must pick some up and toss it over your LEFT shoulder lest you give the Devil a doorway to your soul. (I don't believe in the Devil and I'm skeptical about my soul but I ALWAYS DO THIS.)

hey, we hindus don't need to worry about the devil. he only has power over those of the judeo-christian variety.