• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

European "Bud"

Craig Camp

I can say, without reservation or fear of being wrong, that the Bud that you get in Italy is going to be as close a facsimile of the Bud that you get in St Louis (trust me, I was involved in an overseas project with AB and know the guys who run the Michelob Specialty group, which is where overseas brewing tends to end up department wise). They spend a phenomenal amount of money, time, and effort to match the flavor profile exactly (a gas chromatograph is their best friend in this effort, outside of some of the best tastebuds in the world sitting in St Louis tasting beer from all of the breweries all over the world. THey don't care what it costs until they get it right. I once HAND DELIVERED a six pack from our project in Tecate (Azteca- a now abandoned competitive product to COrona-which oddly enough AB owns a majority percentage of the parent company, Modelo, but cannot sell in the US as Barton Brothers and Gambrinus have a long term contract based on sales and the good sense of Modelo to not put all of their eggs in one basket) to Hawaii as August 3 wanted to see what the progress was. It was a very good gig while it lasted. One of the best learning experiences of my life.

The idea is that when you buy a Bud brewed in Wuhan, China or one brewed in Newark, NJ that they are going to have identical flavor profiles. They don't always have it perfect, but you can bet that they are trying.

One notable exception is the Bud served on draught in Ireland. The beer has been changed slightly to account for the nitrogen pouring setups in most pubs. Even Budweiser pours with alagas over there (a co2/nitro mix) and I have to say that once you get past the fact having a creamy lager is weird, it can be a very pleasant drink.

Bud may not be the best beer in the world (there are many I would prefer if I were still drinking them-Guiness in St James Gate and Anchor Steam. fresh draft in SF come to mind), but I think that I can safely say that it is the best made, in terms of quality control from grain to glass. Their attention to detail, comapny wide, is mind boggling. They don't care how much it costs to get it right. Anal attention to detail is a point of company pride.

Try one and see what you think. If you like it in the US you will probably like it in Italy.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Sound's a lot like McDonald's.

Nah, with the exception of Ireland I don't know of another situation where they have made concessions to local mores. They think they are the best and the line of thought is that if they serve their best, regardless of location, the local population will come around.

McDonalds is willing to change the menu to local tastes pretty much everywhere they go.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

How about an original Budvar from "Ceske Budejovice"? The Czechs know something about beer. They consume more than any other country.

BTW, If you ever are in Vienna, visit the Prater and the Schweizerhaus (:biggrin:).

It's one of the most popular "beer gardens" in Vienna. They serve draft Budvar.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

as i think i may have said on other threads in this forum in the past i have friends who are hardcore beer snobs who swear by bud. everything in its place they say. maybe this is a residue of their college days, i don't know. i personally like heavier, tastier beers but when i'm stuck i will always go for a bud over its peer group in the u.s. i even prefer bud to rolling rock.

I consider myself a 'beer snob', but I still love a Bud every now and then. Especially when I'm out at a concert. Nothing like holding the 'King of Beers' while rocking out.

I've experienced the Bud Ireland Draught first hand. At first, I thought it was weird that all the young Irish bar patrons were ordering Bud instead of one of their locally made beers (Guinness, Murphy's, Beamish, etc.). I just chalked it up to Ireland's fascination with all things American. One night I broke down and ordered one (out of homesickness perhaps....nah :) ). I was surprised at the creaminess, but soon began to enjoy it. I wish they would serve Bud like that here in the States.