• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Craig Camp

The Raccolta Newsletter, 4/6/04

The choice is not which is better, Champagne, Cava or Prosecco, but which is better for the moment and, of course the budget. Prosecco is a fruit driven wine and it is the quality of the fruit flavors that define the best wines from this region. These easy fruit flavors make Prosecco di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene the perfect choice when you are looking for refreshment and one of the best of choices for brunch - Easter or not.

Click here for 2003 Bellenda Prosecco di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene, Brut

Hi Craig, thanks for the reminder of what an enjoyable wine Prosecco can be. I adore it! It is a gorgeous wine and you are quite right, charm and easy drinking is what it is all about. The grape has a soft, creamy fruit that is most attractive and the charmat method of secondary fermentation definitely preserves and possibly enhances something of its delicate pear-drop fragrance. Prosecco seems at its best with just a touch of sweetness, a sparkling wine that is mercifully never overly aggressive or acidic. Here are some recent tasting notes:

Prosecco Carpenè Malvolti Pale, fine mousse, luscious melony nose and deliciously creamy fruit: this well-made Prosecco from the zone’s leading winery is something of a benchmark.

Prosecco Carpenè Malvolti Cuvée Brut Very fresh and fragrant; a little yeasty, invigoratingly crisp and zingy with a nice citrus finish.

Prosecco Santo Stefano Ruggeri Dry Fresh, vigorous mousse; intensely fragrant pear drop nose; creamy, rich, with a soft, lightly sweet finish.

Prosecco Ca’ Rosa Extra Dry Pale, persistent bubbles; green apple and pear nose; elegant and cleansing finish.

Prosecco Le Colture Pianer Extra Dry An excellent traditional Prosecco: beautiful creamy fruit with clean, refreshing aromas of green apple and lime; attractive crisp, citrussy finish.

Le Colture Cartizze Made from grapes grown on the steeper and well-exposed slopes of the Cartizze sub-zone: intensely fruity, redolent of ripe peaches and dried apricots; a rich, but gently soft texture. The bubbles seem to intensify the ripe, clean fruit so that it just explodes in your mouth.

Marco_Polo,

Thanks for the great notes. Cartizze is indeed special. What do these wines go for in the UK?

What do these wine go for in the UK?

Hi Craig, I don't have the exact prices for these wines as they were sent to me as samples. However, generally Prosecco is available here for under a tenner with good wines at around the £7.50 mark. Remember, here fully sparkling wines attract outrageously high duty coupled with 17.5% VAT (I think the duty alone works out at something like £1.70 per bottle). Frizzante Prosecco (with corks sometimes 'tied' down with string in the rustic manner) can be considerably cheaper, not least because of the lesser duty. There is also plenty of horribly cheap and nasty stuff sloshing around.

Marc

Thanks, Craig. More great reading.

I posted a TN on another Prosecco di Conegliano (from Zardetto) a little while ago.

Zardetto Prosecco di Conegliano

Very tasty stuff. Unfortunately, it's quite difficult to get a good Prosecco here in Ontario.

The Zardetto is a very nice wine usually at a VERY nice price. However it does not have quite the depth of wines like Col Vetoraz or Bellenda. However you will have to pay several dollars more a bottle for them than the still very charming Zardetto. They were selling that wine at Cost Plus for $7 US - very tasty wine at that price.

Unfortunately we don't get those other producers here, Craig. Perhaps I'll drink some during my trip and bring a bottle back.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By haresfur
      I found this article about arancino/arancina really interesting

• By jennyandthejets
      I'll be in Naples for a few days next month and I wanted to try something traditional, and my friend recommended trying parmigiana. She said she loved it, but the problem is that she ate it at her Italian friend's house, and I won't be able to have that exact parmigiana. So, I did some research online and found a few restaurants that have good ratings and are serving allegedly great eggplant casserole. This place is 4 stars rated, but people seem not to agree whether the parmigiana is good or not.... On the other hand, this place has a great rating, appears when searching for the parmigiana, but nobody seems to write about it in their reviews. Finally, this one is said to have the best parmigiana in Naples (or in the world, for that matter), and I wanted to know if anyone had the so-called world's best?
      I would really appreciate if you could help me make the decision. Looking forward to your advice!

• By alacarte
      I recently took a trip to Northern Italy, and was delighted to find that the cappuccino everywhere was just wonderful, without exception. Smooth, flavorful, aromatic perfect crema, strong but not too strong.
      Aside from the obvious answer (duh, Italians created cappuccino ), what makes Italian capp so fantastic, and how do I duplicate the effect here?
      I'm wondering if it's the water, the way the coffee is ground or stored, the machines used....I'm baffled.
      Also noticed that the serving size tended to be smaller than what I'm used to -- i.e. a small teacupful vs. a brimming mug or Starbucks supersize. Not sure why that is either.
      Grazie mille for any insight on this!
    • By Modernist Cuisine Team
      The Modernist Cuisine team is currently traveling the globe to research pizza and different pizza styles for our next book Modernist Pizza.  Nathan and the team will be in São Paulo and Buenos Aires soon. We'd love hear from the eGullet community—what pizzerias should they visit while they're there? You can read more about our next book Modernist Pizza here. Thanks in advance, everyone! 
    • By scordelia
      My article was published (my first one!)! Hooray! And I do have some Florentine restaurant recommendations including the new Osteria del Pavone which is amazing--lampredotto ravioli is now a thing and it must be tried.

http://www.classicchicagomagazine.com/florence-in-winter/