• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF's Local Scene

Margaret Pilgrim

another thought.

Chouchou in Forest Hills. A somewhat new French Bistro in an out of the way neighbourhood, but if you're coming up the 280 from the south it's quite convenient.

I was there with some friends a few weeks back. The owner is French, and apparently also own a small bistro in Paris. The atmosphere is quite lovely, very Parisien, and the service was very nice. The food was nice, not a serious temple of gastronomy by any means, but one cannot be in the mood for such a place everyday now, can one? The style of the place is unmistakably french, but the food is slightly altered bistro food--adapted for the local market I suppose.

They serve lunch, you and your friends might like it. The price was quite reasonable too. Here you will have a much better chance at getting out under $50 than at Chez Papa.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

another thought.

Chouchou in Forest Hills.  A somewhat new French Bistro in an out of the way neighbourhood, but if you're coming up the 280 from the south it's quite convenient.

I was there with some friends a few weeks back.  The owner is French, and apparently also own a small bistro in Paris.  The atmosphere is quite lovely, very Parisien, and the service was very nice.  The food was nice, not a serious temple of gastronomy by any means, but one cannot be in the mood for such a place everyday now, can one?  The style of the place is unmistakably french, but the food is slightly altered bistro food--adapted for the local market I suppose.

They serve lunch, you and your friends might like it.  The price was quite reasonable too.  Here you will have a much better chance at getting out under $50 than at Chez Papa.

By the way, Amanda Berne offers a review of Chouchou in today's Chronicle food section. (Digest to be posted later.)

Squeat

• 1 month later...

This thread has become THE thread for San Francisco...so I'm reviving it with two new reports.

First, we happened to be driving down Chestnut Street, and spotted My Most-Trusted Foodie Friend, standing in front of a restaurant. Beeped the horn, waved, and he was gone. But I figured, "If he's there, it has to be good." So we ate a great lunch at Andale, a Mexican place with pleasant ambience and decor, and spit-roasted chickens. Nikki ordered a jicama salad (with goat cheese, greens, avocado chunks, and vinaigrette, I think $4.95) and a shrimp burrito ($7.95--huge, bursting with juicy shrimp, covered in flavorful, medium-spicy sauce). I ordered the chicken burrito with rice, beans, guacamole, cheese and sour cream in it ($7.95). Everything was very good, though I've had burritos twice as big for less money.

MTFF wrote this morning that Andale is "the best food bargain in town (I get it for take-out occasionally) is their whole rotisserie chicken dinner with potatoes, fantastic salsa, and salad, for $15. Their chickens are so big, we make two dinners out of it."

Worth knowing. Andale is at 2150 Chestnut. You order at the counter and they bring it to your table.

Second, we had reservations at Le Petite Robert, where I have been eager to eat since chef Robert Cubberly did such a wonderful job at the Outstanding in the Field dinner at Frog's Leap Winery.

My report to the friend:

Le Petit Robert was just fantastic. Robert Cubberly (chef/owner, who was working the bar and door last night) remembered Nikki (and her entire order) from months ago when I sent her in. She had to come up with take-out for Charley's late-night arrival at SFO, and called LPR. Robert handled her deftly, and said, "Come in and your food will be ready." (He chose her courses.)

He sent a calamari salad to the table, without us ordering it. Big points: it was wonderfully tender and flavorful, with red bell peppers and sweet onions. As was the heirloom cherry tomato salad with haricots verts, greens and avocado mayonnaise. The duck/pistachio terrine was less wonderful for me: too much like foie gras. But the caramelized onions that came with it were like candy. Just amazing.

We shared the quail, which he recommended, and which I will recommend to you.

We had champagne with first course, each a different white with second course, and red wine at the end. We had no room for dessert.

And listen up, you Alton Brown fans. He sat at the table next to us with his wife, Deanna, and daughter Zoë (affectionately known as "Stink Bomb"). I introduced myself as he was leaving, because one of my stepsisters is among his best friends. He was tickled to pieces to hear her name, and he's got a great handshake. I thanked him for his great participation in the eGullet Q & A, and he was nice about that, too. They are both very funny people, and Zoë was spinning around like a total spaz..."And we give her sugar! What kind of parents ARE we?" they chimed.

After he left, Robert Cubberly said that AB comes in all the time. He even mentioned it in San Francisco magazine, "When I want to eat French food, I go to Le Petit Robert."

Big thumbs up. Wines by the glass, carafe, or bottle. Very reasonably priced. I think our whole evening, with three starters, the quail, and three glasses of wine each, was about $80. Nikki treated, so I am not sure about that.

If I lived in SF, that would quickly become a place I would adopt. It was a beautiful meal. Go there.

Just caught up with this thread, and wanted to add that Calvin Trillin sightings are to be expected: one of his daughters lives in SF. I ran into him at Cowgirl Creamery in the Ferry Building last fall, and made a fool of myself yet again (already had years ago when he showed up where I worked to pick up an order).