• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn Brewery

Stone

I never have, but while you are there if you happen to see Garrett Oliver ask him if he ever lurks on eGullet. I suspect he does, but would really like to know for sure. He would be a good addition to the beer forums.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I've been a couple of times. It's worth stopping by if your nearby. They have a publike area where you can just drink Brooklyn beers and hang if you're not interested in the tours. Check out the directions and hours at www.brooklynbrewery.com.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Isn't there an upcoming cask-fest at one of the spots you just mentioned, BG?

The open house Fridays is a pretty good time. Fresh beer puring in a nice open atmosphere with a good relaxed crowd. If you can score a table and bring some tasty food out, you're styling.

• 1 year later...

I took the tour today and did a tasting of all the beers they had available on tap today. The bartender was nice enough to pour all of those beers for me just for a generous tip alone. The tour was a lot of fun. Information about the history of beer in Brooklyn, and information about the brewmaking process were included in the tour. It was all presented in a humorous, light-hearted and witty style. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and have a good time. Everyone on the tour was young, under 40. Most were in their late 20s or early 30s. Then we went into the "pub-like" area and I did my beer tasting. I really enjoyed all the beers I had. My least favorite was the pilsner, which tasted kind of like apple juice (not in a good way, IMHO.) I really liked the ale, lager, weise, and blanche beers. The IPA wasn't the best IPA I've ever tasted, but still pretty good. I did get to taste the reserve, but it didn't make a big impression on me either way. In any case, I would definately recommend the tour to anyone in the area! I drove out from White Plains with my fiancee just for this tour, and then we ate dinner at SEA, located very nearby. The whole afternoon was very enjoyable.

-James Kessler