• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood in Middlesex or Monmouth

LNorman

LNorman - you can't go wrong with Joe & Maggie's Bistro. Has great seafood as well as selection for non-fish lovers.

Joe & Maggie's website

The Reef Club in Long Branch is also good - more of a seafood geared menu.

If I can find the website for Reef Club, I'll edit and post it later.

reef club website

Doris & Ed's, IMO, is about 5 years past its prime, there are many other options to choose from.

Edited to add website :smile:

Edited by lamb (log)

I am not a fan of Doris & Ed's because each time we went there, we came away disappointed. We finally gave it up as definitely not worth it since the quality of the food is not anywhere good enough to warrant the truly exhorbitant prices. It amazes me that people still flock there and put it on their "best" lists.

Ray's Seafood, in Colts Neck, used to be our preferred spot until they closed. We have since tried their original location in Little Silver. The space, while pleasant enough, is not as attractive as the Colts Neck restaurant. However, the food is just as fine, and prices are reasonable. I don't remember what, if anything, would be on the menu for a non-seafood eater. You'd have to call and find out.

The food at Rooney's Ocean Crab, in Long Branch, is pretty good. They definitely have things other than fish and seafood on their menu.

If you are willing to go to an upscale restaurant that is not strictly a fish place but does both fish and non-fish dishes superbly, Frog and the Peach is definitely that place.

Edited by rozrapp (log)

The Chowder Pot on Rt. 27 in Rahway (on the Colonia border) has always been really bad, in my opinion. It made me sad, since it was so close to where I live...

However - I see they are under new management and I am kind of tempted to give them another chance. Has anyone been there recently? Or....ever?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

75 South in Freehold is excellent with seafood and other items. They especially excel with their soups and sauces.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The Chowder Pot on Rt. 27 in Rahway....

Is this "Chowder Pot" somehow tied with the old Rte36 location in Keyport, which was demolished about 10 years ago?

edit: stupid gramer :biggrin:

Edited by steakas (log)

:D