• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines with friends

Florida Jim

With buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, basil and capers with a side of lightly dressed greens and crostini:

2002 Zenato, Lugana “San Benedetto”:

Moderate aromatics of apples, pears and flowers; becomes more expansive as it warms/

Medium body, flavors follow the nose with some citrus accents, pleasant acidity, smooth and concentrated texturally, nice balance/

Medium length, very clean finish.

Excellent wine both by itself and with the food and completely ready to drink now.

About $9, retail.

With vegetarian lasagna and a side of Italian sausages:

2000 Zenato, Valpolicella Ripassa:

Smells lightly of Amarone but also of red fruit and spice/

Medium body, again hints of Amarone but emphasizes its fruit and spice traits, smooth and balanced if somewhat linear/

Medium finish.

About $15, discounted.

Good with the meal but the next wine dwarfed it.

and,

1998 Illuminati, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo “Zanna”:

Beautiful nose of black and red fruit, dust, underbrush, mushroom and mineral; interesting to say the least/

Medium body, flavors follow the nose and are completely integrated, excellent concentration, good complexity, fairly compact in the mouth but perfectly balanced/

Very long and balanced finish.

Sensational wine that is anything but one note and yet is so perfectly balanced that everything seems to be of whole cloth. Slightly reminiscent of Brunello but not as structured. Really lovely wine that I will have to hunt for; anyone know where and how much?

Price unknown.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

We could stock the Zanna, it seems for £13, but I know that doesn't help. Looks good, and will try.

Tried the Riparosso 2002 last month, and was impressed with its structure and bold fruit, given that 2002 has not pleased me so far.

Am also having a bit of a Ripasso phase at the moment. Excellent value everyday drinking. £7+

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Jim,

I think most places that carry the Zanna will have it around the mid-$20s. Illuminati also makes a MdA called "Riparosso" for about half the cost. Worth seeking out as a great QPR wine. Perhaps it will make your under $20 list.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero