• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent notes

Florida Jim

2000 J. Drouhin, St. Veran (375 ml):

Slightly oxidized and a bit short; I’m guessing this got cooked. There’s some good stuff amongst the flaws but I see why this was being closed out at $2.

1998 La Spinona Barbaresco “Bricco Faset”:

Traditional Barbaresco aromatics with a floral component and dried cherries, some unsweetened chocolate hints and a slight burnt tar element/

Medium body with flavors that follow the nose, a certain elegance off-set by a good dose of drying tannin, slightly unfocused/

Drying finish.

Somewhat muddled and obviously opened to early but since this too was being closed out ($20), I wanted to see what it was like in case I wanted more. A bit odd but enjoyable nonetheless.

1994 LaJota, Cabernet Franc:

Smells of ripe black fruit, dark chocolate and earth; has a smooth texture and a powerful presence in the mouth which is almost port-like; flavors follow the nose, substantial concentration which lends to the texture, good intensity, structured and port-like length. A wine better suited for flavorful food (in this case, a pan fried pork steak was a good match) with elements of oak on the palate that would normally send me away – but this wine handles it, especially with food. Not even a hint of green. No rush to open this but nothing to stop you.

About $45, delivered, at release.

2000 Brundlmayer, Riesling Heiligstein Lyra:

Very intense nose of sappy oleander, potting soil, white fruit and spice/

Medium-full body, excellent concentration without being ponderous, flavors follow the nose, intense, more open than the last bottle, complex, good balance/

Very long finish that reprises the flavors.

With a spicy vegetable stir-fry with rice noodles and peanut sauce, this was just superb. Such a balanced and complimentary pairing energizes the whole experience.

About $22, discounted.

2002 Casa Brina, Ruche di Castagnole Monferrato:

“My, that smells good!” were Diane’s first words; a really charming nose of raspberry, strawberry, peat moss and mineral lead to an elegant, silky mouthful of flavors that follow the nose with complexity and some depth. Translucent, lightweight but intense, nice length and good with grilled Mahi-mahi; very pretty. A versatile bottle that is delicious and interesting with or without food.

About $16, discounted.

2000 Morgante, Nero d’Avola (Sicily):

The nose reminds me of dark chocolate covered cherries with unsweetened cocoa powder dusted on top; develops raspberry, blackberry, earth and tar scents with airing/

Full body, rich, forward and texturally smooth, flavors follow the nose with some complexity and more emphasis on the black fruit and tar elements, good concentration, structured with very fine tannins, well integrated and balanced/

Medium length finish that is not drying despite evident tannins.

Ready now and a delight. If you have this with food, I suggest strongly flavored food, but it is also delicious (albeit substantial) by itself. Very well made and yummy.

About $11, full retail.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com