• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anthony giglio of nj monthly

kimmyb72

finally a writer who fucking gets anthony giglio.

Tommy, I take offense at that. You didn't capitalize the "A" and "G".. :biggrin::biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

This actually sounds like a reviewer I'd read.

Exactly. With a few shining exceptions (including those of some talented people here at eGullet) I find most restaurant reviews to be mind-bogglingly tedious bits of writing. If I have an interest in a restaurant, I might wade through the boring bog, but I've probably ignored very good ones because I couldn't get past the first graf.

It can, and does get carried to extremes when the writer lavishes more attention on him/herself than on what's in the glass or on the plate. But otherwise, gimme some juicy writing -- like Anthony Giglio's.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

So I do think it's quite necessary for a critic to report on the atmosphere of a restaurant. If it's a good read, all the better.

finally a writer who fucking gets anthony giglio.

Ha ha, tommy. For those who don't know to what tommy is referring, click here for A journalist who really gets eGullet (formerly titled, "A journalist who fucking gets eGullet").

I finally read this months NJ Monthly. Thought the reviews were all fine and can really relate with some of the observations of Mr. Giglio. One thing I thought was funny is in the Fascino piece, the picture of the dining room has Mother Depersio sitting with her son Anthony, and Father Depersio is sitting in another booth. I guess the photographer came by during non-business hours and wanted the place to look like there were people there...

Funny...

Ant

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

the picture of the dining room has Mother Depersio sitting with her son Anthony, and Father Depersio is sitting in another booth. I guess the photographer came by during non-business hours and wanted the place to look like there were people there...

i thought i noticed that today when i looked at it again as well. though i wasn't sure and didn't give it much thought. i'll have another look. :smile:

aww, you had to ruin it :angry:

hehe, They only wanted to come by during the day and we don't have lunch. They wanted to make it seem like people dining so we all sat down and hung out....the other guy was one of my waiters...

I went to Augustino's last night. Pretty interesting place. I didn't get the full effect since the owners were not there. So if you DO want the full effect then don't go on Mondays.