• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lonsdale - William Cooper

As I'm always tearing out reviews of different restaurants, and my unimpeachable filing system consists of shoving them in whatever book I'm reading at the time, meaning to follow them up later, I keep coming across these things months after the fact. The latest, a very good review of William Cooper's food at the Lonsdale (48 Lonsdale Rd, W11) - from July 2003 no less. It mentions also that he was former sous-chef to Pierre Koffman, which strikes me as a notable achievement.

Has anyone been there? Any reports of injury or ecstasy?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

oh me, me - I was there, on 3 June 2003 - I remember the date so precisely because it was my birthday and we were up for some really remarkably foolish cocktails. Elderflower cosmopolitan? Pomegranate caipirinha? Rose-petal martini (didn't know whether to drink it or dab it behind my ears, quite frankly). We did also try some little plates and though, ahem, it has all rather blurred in the mists of time (and gin), I can confidently say: good chips. Hmmm. That's not very helpful. I'll do a little poll of the friends I was with + see if they are more remembery.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

meant to add that I'm next there on Monday (it being conveniently situated approx one yard from my ex-flat, and I'm seeing my ex-flatmate), so will report back then.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry chaps. Went on Monday as promised, but was with girlf who is dieting for wedding day, so we allowed ourselves two cocktails each (may I recommend the Hedgerow Sling, with sloe gin, gin, lemon + crushed ice?) at the expense of food, so only shared a plate of impeccable Pata Negra charcuterie with quince jam, almonds and caperberries, and some absolutely wonderful olive bread. Really good, but none of it a test of the kitchen. As an eGullet field operative, I'm definitely in the B team, I'm afraid.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

• 3 weeks later...

OK Tarka so it's been nearly three weeks, am I allowed to tempt you now...??? Did you see the piece in today's Times saying that detoxes are actually BAD for you (I knew it, I knew it)?

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

i'm still kind of detoxing, but i have been so ill for the past week that it's more by luck than design.

that said, i feel amazing post detox, clear skin, lost a few pounds, lots of energy. it's just a shame that i have a chest infection :-(

anyway, fat duck on the weekend, so the detox will be over then :-)

tell me about this article...

sorry andy, all of this is completely off topic

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum