• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Condesa de Leganza

Susan in FL

We drank a bottle of 1999 Condesa de Leganza Crianza tonight. I'm not sure if I ever drank a 100% Tempranillo before. I am aware of some of the background of this winemaker, including that 1998 was the first released to the U.S. The taste of the wine was different! I think maybe it would be considered a good wine of its type, but not one that I was very fond of. I think maybe I would have to develop a taste for it. Even stranger, I think I would like to. Is this a good example of Tempranillo? It tasted like what pipes or cigars smell like to me. I am interested in your comments.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I have never had this one, but Pesquera IMO is a good example of Tempranillo. The 1994 vintage is outstanding if you can get it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It's a solid wine for the price. I don't recall if it's 100% tempranillo, but it certainly tastes of tempranillo, with the flavors that you noted. A step up in quality would be the aforementioned Pesquera, and also Muga Reserva.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I think the fact that the two wines recommended above (both excellent) don't taste a bit alike shows what a broad range of styles that tempranillo is used to produce in Spain.

As in most great European wines there are both modern (Pesquera) and traditional (Muga) producers. Also as tempranillo is produced in so many Spanish regions the varied micro-climates also create diverse styles.

By all means, pursue the development of a taste for it. The tobacco notes you detected can sometimes be a characteristic of wines made from tempranillo. The recommendations of Pesquera (Ribera del Duero) and Muga (Rioja) are good ones. But, as Craig mentioned, they do come from different DOs (growing regions). Some others to look for include Remelluri (Rioja), Finca Valpiedra (Rioja) and Alion (Ribera del Duero).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Susan, we drink that one at Azafran, a local tapas restaurant. Yes, it is 100% tempranillo, and we love it -- it goes very well with a variety of foods. Keep trying it, and if you don't come to like it, well, try some of the others people have mentioned.

By all means, pursue the development of a taste for it.  The tobacco notes you detected can sometimes be a characteristic of wines made from tempranillo.  The recommendations of Pesquera (Ribera del Duero) and Muga (Rioja) are good ones.  But, as Craig mentioned, they do come from different DOs (growing regions).  Some others to look for include Remelluri (Rioja), Finca Valpiedra (Rioja) and Alion (Ribera del Duero).

I meant to include the reasons behind my recommendations, but you capable gentlemen beat me to it.

I find the difference between the growing regions of this grape to be as exciting as almost any other varietal. I am sure someone else can speak to the differences better than myself.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I think the fact that the two wines recommended above (both excellent) don't taste a bit alike shows what a broad range of styles that tempranillo is used to produce in Spain.

As in most great European wines there are both modern (Pesquera) and traditional (Muga) producers. Also as tempranillo is produced in so many Spanish regions the varied micro-climates also create diverse styles.

Susan,

Craig really nails it... With such a huge amount of land under vines, differing micro-climates and various(modern/traditional) vinting techniques, the ability for winemakers to express the wide ranging attributes of the tempranillo grape are endless.

Possibly a good way to develop a sense of this is is to ease into your appreciation of the grape with some blends...

There are many available that will not set you back an arm and a leg and are readily available at any good wine shop...

Three come to mind:

Abadia Retuerta Rivola Sardon de Duero (Ribera del Duero) $10 to $15

Two by Bodegas Nekas (Navarra) both around $8 to $12

Vega Sindoa Tempranillo/Merlot

Vega Sindoa Tempranillo/Cabernet

Two 100% Temp suggestions are:

Albet y Noya Tempranillo (Penedes)

Domino de Eguren Codice (Rioja Alta)

These are also great values in terms of what you get for what you pay, and are all from different areas of the country.

As a bonus, all are great food wines... I mean, what else can you say about a country with a National Museum of Ham!!!

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

Thanks, all. I learned a lot, and plan to try a step up in quality, in hopes of developing a taste for this. I'll take these notes to my wine guy that has the best selection. I would like to have an appreciation of this interesting grape!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.