• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montilla-Moriles

Susan in FL

Last night, out to dinner, we asked what Port and Sherry they had for an after dinner drink, and they recommended 1975 Pedro Ximénez Montilla-Moriles Don Gran Reserva, by Bodegas Toro Albalá, after clarifying that it was not Port or Sherry. (The reason I am able to write that properly with correct spelling is because we bought a bottle to take home, we liked it so much.)

We know wines fairly well, but were unfamiliar with this. What a wonderful discovery! I immediately thought of posting a note here, to ask what you all know about it. Is Montilla-Moriles the grape? Is that always a dessert wine? Have you tasted it? We're looking forward to your comments.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Toro Albala is imported by Classical Wines in Seattle, Washington. Pedro Ximenez is the grape and Montilla-Moriles is the Denominacion de Origen in Spain. These wines are close cousins to Sherry, geographically close too, but the Pedro Ximinex is the dominant grape in M-M for both dry and sweet fortified wines. In Sherry, PX is bottled varietally but much more rarely and more often used as a sweetening agent. I am thrilled to hear a restaurateur took the time to promote this wine. Might I ask where this was? By the way, the current vintage bottling, 2000, is delicious and one of the best values in sweet and sticky.

Edited by wineserver (log)

Thank you. I was way off base in my guesses about the meaning of some of that.

The restaurant is Spanish River Grille and Wine Bar, in New Smyrna Beach, FL. It's my current favorite local restaurant.

In this thread is what I posted last night afterwards, when, with the glow of the wine and food still with me, I didn't care about correct grammar or spelling. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

You almost can't call that wine a "wine" though. Its like pancake syrup. I love it, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host