• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monday's Steingarten Q&A

jogoode

I have always trusted Steingarten's taste. But most of the food he's written about -- in Alba, Kyoto, Paris, Chengdu -- I've never been able to try. That's why I feel so proud and excited when he recommends anything in New York.

I did get a little frustrated when he came back from Thailand and demonstrated a longing for an authentic American Thai restaurant -- and for bitter, pea-sized Thai eggplants -- because I wanted so badly to take him to Sripraphai for their Southern Style Curry.

He has managed to mention Balthazar a couple hundred times over the years. But has he ever gone bistro-hopping in Brookyln?

The creamed spinach at db Bistro is his fav. City Bakery's tarts and Pearl's Lobster Rolls inspired

entire articles...

I remembered him saying the best food in New York was at Le Cirque, and I figured that this must have been a quote from ten years ago. But this article was first published in 1999.

I know a lot of us would disagree with that statement, but I suppose it would be your favorite place, too, if you were treated like this.

Edited by jogoode (log)

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I think each person's palate differs so much that it's very difficult to read something for the recommendation of food. The most exposure I had with Steingarten's work is through Vogue, so it may not be the most representative of his work. However, whatever that I have read of his work, I read for the social and cultural aspect of food and not for the food itself.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Bond Girl,

I would think you'd love his recipes most of all :smile:

You ever go through with your lobster souffle project?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Bond Girl,

I would think you'd love his recipes most of all :smile:

You ever go through with your lobster souffle project?

Yes, I think I would love his recipes, and no I haven't went through with the Lobster souffle project yet, as my request for the recipe remains unanswered. May be that would be a good Q&A question.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

It's funny, I do trust him for his recipes. He was my tour guide for my recent attempt at Thompson's Turkey, and while I took issue with some of Steingarten's decisions, he was generally very helpful. And I recently made his potato gratin (from his second book), and it kicked ass in a major way.

But if you read between the lines in his own work, you can tell he's much more of an experimenter (and prose stylist) than a natural cook. There was a profile last year in the NY Times in which the author (I forget who) described the food he was served by Steingarten as rather hit-or-miss. And Amanda Hesser claims Steingarten gave her food poisoning. (And stole a story from her to boot! She's his friend, so she can accuse him of these things.)

When he writes about food prepared by others, I have to trust his judgment because he's so much more experienced than I am, and he writes so persuasively. He convinced me that I'd never had an MSG headache, when I was previously pretty sure I had.

And Bond Girl: I think all of his writing-- or almost all, anyway-- has been for Vogue, hasn't it?

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

...I have to trust his judgment because he's so much more experienced than I am...

That's what I'm wondering. New York is the place where I finally get to taste at least a few of the things he loves and see if I agree. There are a lot of experienced eaters out there with shit for taste and, although I never figured JS for one of these, you never know. If he had ended up, in his "Lining Up" (It Must've Been) loving Tomoe Sushi, it would have colored all of his other judgments for me. But I wonder how someone who is a fan of both Steignarten and Tomoe felt about his appraisal.

An experimenter, it's true

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

That's the article I was thinking of! I thought Witchel unintentionally revealed himself to be much more difficult than Steingarten, and a lot less fun.

Um, HERself, Seth :blush: Witchel (was there ever a more aptly-named writer?) is Mrs. Frank Rich.

Oops. I guess I knew that already. :blush::blush:

Now that I know where the blushing emoticon is, I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of it.

Now that I know where the blushing emoticon is, I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of it.

Where is it?

Click on "show all" when you see the clickable smiles menu to the left of your text box in the reply window. Then you can select it.

I thought Witchel unintentionally revealed himself to be much more difficult than Steingarten, and a lot less fun.

That's so true! Ask Steingarten what he thought of the article and whether he agrees with you.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

BTW: will the event be moderated, or a typically elitist free-for-all? I've already got a question in mind.  :unsure:

Will the Q&A be moderated, you mean? Yes, it will. By little old me! I look forward to your question!

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I know a lot of us would disagree with that statement, but I suppose it would be your favorite place, too, if you were treated like this.

For those of you who read the linked article I propose a question about this

remark:

We could taste some 1990 Bordeaux -- a fine and costly vintage. "A glass of this, a glass of that," he suggests. "There's always a bit of spillage when you decant, if you know what I mean."

This was a statement made to Steingarten and his dining partner by the wine steward at Le Circque. Is this implying that when they decant a pricey wine that someone ELSE has paid for..... the "spillage" sometimes makes its way into a glass destined to be a freebie for some more privileged guest?

Perhaps I'm reading into this but it sure seems that way....