• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chaudfroid

NeroW

I am thinking of doing a chaudfroid tray for a buffet next week.

Has anyone done these, and if so, what garnish have you used? We did the whole basil leaves and pepper strips for Christmas thing already.

Any ideas? It is to set off 2 different terrines--one duck meat, cherries and pistachio, and one pork and pork liver.

Noise is music. All else is food.

uh, why?

i went to a banquet with some chaud-froid centerpieces many years ago. stuff was pretty good, too, except for all that white paste.

maybe it just reminds me too much of days spent locked in walk-ins decorating poached salmons. olive eyeballs anyone?

That was my initial thought as well but didn't want to be too discouraging. It looks awfully pretty but tastes - well, tastes like paste.

Do you have access to color sheets at school? A couple groups made those and cut out shapes and placed them on the tray before pouring the chaud froid. I have pictures in an e mail if you would like them. (No idea how to post them here, or if they'd be too big or whatever.)

Are you talking about the platter decoration? With the white gelatin and deco? And no one's supposed to eat that anyway. Or are you talking about a chaud-froid dish? We did one at APDA with Bresse chicken, coated with finely chopped black truffles - goosefat instead of aspic. It's a French thing - obviously - and good aspic's a revelation - visually, taste, texture, etc. - not something a lot of Americans always get. But it sounds like you're talking about a platter decoration. If that's it, I tend to go for more modern/minimalist designs - think Mondrian in carrots, leeks, eggplant, etc. I've also done Moroccan-inspired designs - and once one like a Persian rug. The flowers and birds are just not for me.

I had to look up chaud froid because I had no idea what it was :shock: I came across this site with some photos of decorative platters.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

OMG -- nightmares of GM class -- actually kinda fun, except for all that waiting around for the aspic to set. I covered a poached salmon with radish scales; if I would do it again, I'd add some beet to the blanching water so they'd be nice and pink.

But duck and pork terrines? How about a barnyard with little pink piggies out of beet-dyed daikon, white daikon duck-shapes, and yellow (rutabaga?) chicks?

Yeah, I am (or was) talking about a platter decoration. But our pates seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the walk-in.

So never mind. But thanks anyway. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I am (or was) talking about a platter decoration. But our pates seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the walk-in.

So never mind. But thanks anyway. :rolleyes:

How did you GM practical go, Nero?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yeah, I am (or was) talking about a platter decoration.  But our pates seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the walk-in.

So never mind.  But thanks anyway.  :rolleyes:

How did you GM practical go, Nero?

It's not until Thursday. I will let you know! It should be fine. We got the ice carving all done, which was what I was most nervous about.

Guess what else happens on Thursday? Fritz gets home!