• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Research

itch22

As I get more into wine, I am trying to learn more about the estates and vintages. I tried a variety of searches on the internet but came up short. Here is an example:

The label gives the following information...

Merlot

Bordeaux

Christian Moueix

Product of France

"Merlot" is the style and "2000" is the vintage, this I know. I ASSUME that "bordeaux" is the region, and "Christian Moueix" is the estate.

I did dozens of searchs on the internet but returned only a few reviews, lots of wine buying websites, and a home page for one of Christian's estates (Dominus). Dominus, of course, is not the estate that specifically makes their Merlot. Or, if it is, they do not mention their merlot among their wines.

Where can I go to learn more about the stories behind the wine I buy and drink? Tips for web searches, frequented websites or magazines, books, critics' websites, any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

-- Jason

itch, when using google, do try to put phrases in quotes. for example, i'd search on '"Christian Moueix" "tasting notes"' for some tasting notes from random people.

you're right about bordeaux being the region. and merlot is the predominant grape. although you'll more often than not not see the variety on the label of french wines.

Try this link:

Wine Access

It allows you to search for a wine and then enter your zip code to find a retailer near you. Often the retailers will have tating notes posted with the wines.

Cheers!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There are innumerable web sites but here are a few of my favorites:

Italian Made

Great site on Italian wine from the Italian Trade Commission

Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation

This is an incredible site with that contains wine laws of any country that exports wine to Australia! Therefore, it is a comprehensive source of information.

Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar

This is the wine geeks wine critic. One of the best and most detail oriented wine reviews.

Decanter Magazine On Line

Wine from an English perspective, many of the contributing editors are Masters of Wine and the articles focus on substantive information rather than subjective, personal opinion.

The Vine

Clive Coates is the author of the newsletter The Vine. Coates epitomizes the harumphing, pheglmatic English style of review, but no one delivers more detail on the Bordeaux or Burgundy vintage.

Cellars International

This is the website of one of 2 leading importers of German wine in the United States. The site not only promotes the importers great estates it also clearly explains German wine and that is no easy task.

Additionally, here is a brief list of essential books:

Making Sense of Burgundy by Matt Kramer

Kramer can be very controversial but this is the definitive introduction to arguably the most confusing wine region on the planet. Once you grasp what it takes to make great Burgundy, everything else is easy.

Oxford Companion to Wine edited by Jancis Robinson

Jancis Robinson edits the work of the world's greatest wine minds in one alphabetic encylopedia on the subject of wine. For me, this is one of two desert island book.

The New Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia by Thomas Stevenson

The most comprehensive reference book available today. It presents the most comprehensive, current, in print detail of every wine producing country on the planet.

The Wine Atlas of Italy by Burton Anderson

Though published in 1989, it is still amazingly relevant and a must as an introduction to Italy.

Vines, Grapes, and Wines by Jancis Robinson

Recently updated, this is the definitive book on the world's great wine grape varieties.

Red Wine with Fish by Wesson and Rosengarten

A definitive guide to wine and food pairing without the impractical or technical.

Cheese Primer by Steven Jenkins

For me the great wine and cheese are inseperable. This is the definitive guide on the subject.

This is obviously only a scant offering on the subject, but its one helluva start.

Edited by wineserver (log)