• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chitlins

guajolote

chitlins: should I go out to eat or try to make them?

history of chitlins

Nero wolfe added chitlins to his corned beef hash

"Our hand-cleaned chitlins are cleaned year round by our experienced team of Chitlin Cleaners."

Imagine putting that title on your resume. :blink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

If they're really well-cleaned, the smell isn't too bad, especially if you've done things like menudo, as I suspect you have. There's nothing difficult about the preparation.

BTW, I've never seen Cajun andouille made with chitlins and tripe, as the link describes. That's the French version.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

My father's girlfriend used to cook them every once in a while when I was in high school. The smell would be like this huge slap in the face when you walked in the door! My dad would take one look at my face and give me movie money and the car keys for the evening! :shock:

I always thought chitterlings (we're so formal here in the South) were from the small intestine, not the large. Anyhow, the key thing is that the intestines are from a freshly killed pig. Damn, I could have provided that to you when you were here, G-man, but I let the slaughter-dude keep 'em.

Find a good soul food restaurant that makes them a couple different ways before you start at home. They can get pretty stanky.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I have eaten Chitlins all over the world, and my favorites are from China, Korea and Maylay preperations.

In the Seattle Tacoma area many Korean Restaurants serve fresh , hand cleaned Chitlins with no odor, cooked or prepared fresh at the Table from a Braizer.

The Maylay Satay Restaurant in Seattle serves them as a appitizer crispy deep fried, fun to order them by Asian name, and after everyones exclaimed how delicious they tasted, then asked what they were watch their expression.

Chinese also serve them Fried or in Hot Pots and Casseroles.

Haven't tried them at any Seattle Soul Food Restaurants but enjoyed them in Mexico, and in the South, especially Louisiana and Georgia.

Occasionally buy them and prepare at home, Chinese Red Cooked.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.