• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

veal spareribs

guajolote

there's a lawsuit about fake kosher veal spareribs:

BACKGROUND

I. The Facts

The Yarmeisches received their first civil citation for transgressing New York's kosher fraud laws 2 following an inspection of their store by the Department on July 10, 1986. The Department's inspector, Max Goldgrab, seized for testing a package of veal spareribs that was labeled "soaked and salted." 3 The Department's analysis revealed that "selected surface tissues [of the spareribs] do not contain added salt" and thus that Commack Kosher was in violation of New York's kosher fraud laws. In a letter responding to the citation, the Yarmeisches claimed that Commack Kosher "has always soaked and salted all the meats that state that they are soaked and salted. If this does not meet with the Hebrew orthodox religious requirements we need to know what the analysis was and what the standards should be." Despite this assertion, the Yarmeisches did not formally challenge the violation and paid a civil penalty fine in the amount of $600.

http://www.tourolaw.edu/2ndCircuit/May02/00-91160.html

I'm doing all I can to resist the temptation to start a "vegetarian spareribs" topic.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm doing all I can to resist the temptation to start a "vegetarian spareribs" topic.

That's no problem for folks like me who follow Porco Vegetarian regimes...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak