• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madrid Fusión 2004

vserna

I doubt seriously if Thomas Keller will be at Alimentaria. He turned down Madrid Fusion because he is opening a new restaurant in NY.

I wonder whether the opposite might not be true. I suspect NY restaurants get a lot more traffic from visiting Europeans and Keller may well be interested in getting more publicity in Europe. None of this is to suggest he's going to have trouble filling his restaurant in the near future or that he's not already well known in Europe.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...

Madrid Fusión got off to a flying start this morning: Spanish chefs demonstrating fish recipes (Hilario Arbelaitz, Aitor Elizegi, Joaquín Felipe and Carme Ruscalleda), a one-man show by Alain Llorca of Le Moulin de Mougins and the tribute to the great chefs of the 1970s (Frédy Girardet, Alain Senderens, Michel Roux, Gualtiero Marchesi, Juan Mari Arzak and Pedro Subijana).

One interesting fact this year is the number of great chefs, not just demonstrating their skills, but attending as 'students' with the other 500 colleagues. No small fry, from Santi Santamaria of Can Fabes (3 Michelin stars) to young American studs like Ken Oringer of Clio, in Boston, or Wylie Dufresne of WD-50, in NYC.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Heston Blumenthal had a spectacular demonstration Tuesday evening, which I couldn't follow because I had less pleasant deadline pressures, but Nicholas Lander of the Financial Times attended and told me Heston was brilliant. So whoever told you he wasn't on the program must have been smoking funny cigarettes. :rolleyes: Then again, the event was entirely sold out and they weren't letting anyone in.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino